The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MASTER/SLAVE Settings in WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PbG, Sep 30, 2003.

1. PbG

PbG Well-Known Member

Please advise me if the following logic are flawed? I intend to copy several sites currently on one server to another server in a different Data Center to ensure critical sites stay up in the event the first server are unreachable.

To that end I have successfully added NS1/2.domain.com as the third and fourth nameservers for the FQD hostname/primary nameserver on the second server as well as the 3rd and 4th nameservers for the FQD hostname/primary nameserver on the first server. The IP for the first server has been added to my second server as the MASTER Nameserver and a trust relationship has been created.

Please confirm/deny:

In the event the first server is unreachable that websites and mail from the domains on the same that have been uploaded to the second server and have their registrars nameservers updated to include NS1/2.domain.com from the second server will still be accessible to the internet and able to receive mail provided the second server are reachable?

Additonally I need to know if adding a site to the second server and updating the respective registrars nameservers to show ONLY the primary and secondary nameservers of the second server will allow the same site/mail to function properly and/or independent of the MASTER nameservers at the first server?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: