The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Masternameserver server not transfering zone files.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Diatone, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Diatone

Diatone Well-Known Member

Hello.

Recently, one of my shared hosting servers went down. Now, it was the masternameserver. I have another couple shared hosting servers that are slaved nameservers to that master nameserver. Now, when the master nameserver went down, no domains could be reached on the slaved nameserver servers either. I tried to view the DNS zones on the slave servers, and there were none. Completely empty. Shouldnt the master nameserver copy all of the zone files to the slave servers when there are updates or anything? Shouldnt the slave servers actually keep zone files on hand so that if the master nameserver goes down the slave servers can still direct traffic?

Please tell me if there is something I need to change, or any info on this subject that you know.

Thank you very much.

-Brad

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. Diatone

Diatone Well-Known Member

::update:: Actually. it seems the zone files ARE in /var/named, however whm wont list them when you "edit zone" or anything, and there not directing traffic. Like there not being used...

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

3. apodigm

apodigm Well-Known Member

well this seems further than I have gotten.

I've been trying to figure our this master-slave nameserver issue for a few days. In the end, I have needed to copy my .db files manually in order to get it to work. For some reason, when I perform dnstransfer, I am not getting any zone files from the master. the named.conf file gets updated properly, I'm just not transfering the .db files.

anyone experience this and know what I could do to get it to work?