The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Max characters in a password?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sinomyth, Aug 25, 2005.

1. sinomyth

sinomyth Registered

PLEASE HELP!
    I changed my cpanel to a password with 20 characters, it had letters, numbers and symbols (i used !). What is the max amount of characters allowed in a password? I cannot login to cpanel after I changed the password or my FTP, so it must not have liked the password but changed it anyway. What do I do? Would it cut it to the limit? What is the limit? HELP

2. Specks

Specks Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if its your root password for cPanel but generaly a password would be safe enough with just 15 characters. Although I do use 20 character passwords too. Try to reset your password through the web interface. If its root, you might have to have your DS admin go and reset the root password. Just use letters, numbers and punctuation for your passwords. Somtimes special characters throw cPanel for a loop. I did that once and it was a good thing that I still was ssh'ed in to change the password back.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

MD5 passwords can usually be up to 256 characters in length. That said, if you're using random chars, numbers and ascii codes, 8 is probably plenty. It's more likely, these days, unless you have stupidly obvious passwords, that you're more likely to be compromised through vulnerable web scripts of internet facing daemons. I don't know if there's any restrictions within cPanel itself that could cause problems, though with length. Before MD5 passwords in Linux the limit was usually 8 characters and any beyond that were ignored.