The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

max emails issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by gsbe, Nov 18, 2003.

1. gsbe

gsbe Active Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    What are the security implications of making the maximum number of emails sent per hour unlimited on a shared web server?

I have a client that created a custom listserv script in PHP. This script sends out all of its emails at once using the mail() function. Many of the lists have 1000+ users.

The emails are being sent by user 'nobody'. Looking at my relay statistics and bounced messages, there is clearly a coorelation between emails being processed before this max number and returned as 'unrouteable domain error' emails after the max number.

When I make the max number of emails sent per hour = 0 (unlimited) and then restart Apache and EXIM, the script runs flawlessly.

1. Would I be opening my server up to potential threats and/or crashes by allowing an unlimited number of emails to be sent per hour?
    2. Is there a way to set the max number of emails sent per hour individually for each user?
    3. Should I ask the client to rewrite the application utilizing a cron job (see below) to maintain my server's security?

Here's a suggestion I found on the web, do you agree?
    Thanks for your help.
    #1 gsbe, Nov 18, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2003