Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

max emails issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by gsbe, Nov 18, 2003.

1. gsbe

gsbe Active Member

What are the security implications of making the maximum number of emails sent per hour unlimited on a shared web server?

I have a client that created a custom listserv script in PHP. This script sends out all of its emails at once using the mail() function. Many of the lists have 1000+ users.

The emails are being sent by user 'nobody'. Looking at my relay statistics and bounced messages, there is clearly a coorelation between emails being processed before this max number and returned as 'unrouteable domain error' emails after the max number.

When I make the max number of emails sent per hour = 0 (unlimited) and then restart Apache and EXIM, the script runs flawlessly.

1. Would I be opening my server up to potential threats and/or crashes by allowing an unlimited number of emails to be sent per hour?
    2. Is there a way to set the max number of emails sent per hour individually for each user?
    3. Should I ask the client to rewrite the application utilizing a cron job (see below) to maintain my server's security?

Here's a suggestion I found on the web, do you agree?
    Thanks for your help.

#1 gsbe, Nov 18, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2003