The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Max emails limit is per domain or per cpanel account?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by garud, Mar 25, 2011.

1. garud

garud Registered

The limit for maximum number of emails that can be sent per hour apply to
    each domain or to the cpanel account as a whole?

If per domain, what about mailboxes in sub domains? (like me@mine1.example.com , me@mine2.example.com)

i.e The limit (say 200/hr) apply to all mailboxes in example.com as a whole or
    each sub domain (mine1 , mine2) would have the 200/hr limit?

Thanks

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The limit is per domain not per account. Subdomains are separate domains if they have their own email accounts. The listing of domains would likely be taken from /etc/userdomains or /etc/localdomains, both of which list the subdomains.

Did you have a specific issue needing resolved that is based on these questions? You can set different emails per hour per domain if you would like, allowing one domain more or less email than the default setting. You can set these in /var/cpanel/users/username file with the following options:

Code:
    MAX_EMAIL_PER_HOUR=#
    MAX_EMAIL_PER_HOUR-domain.com=#
    Above, you would replace username with the cPanel username for the path noted, # with the number per hour, and domain.com with the domain name. The first MAX_EMAILS_PER_HOUR entry would cover the entire account, while the second would only cover the domain noted. Only use these entries if you want to change the amount the domain or account can send to be different from the default set in WHM > Tweak Settings > Max hourly emails area.

If you do set these options in the user's file, then please ensure to run the following:

Code:
    /scripts/updateuserdomains
    /scripts/update_email_limits

3. egillette

egillette Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks Tristan, worked like a charm. . .I'm wondering though, does Exim just blackhole the additional e-mail messages??

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Exim will hold them in the queue until they are able to send for the next hour and send those in the limit. Once they reach the limit again, exim will hold those messages to queue. The messages are not deleted but held until they either deliver or timeout.

5. egillette

egillette Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Tristan,

Thanks good to know man. . .I was wondering because I have a client right now who is using Interspire's E-mail Marketer software to send out e-mail marketing messages, and I want to make sure he doesn't go over the proposed limit we agreed on that he's allowed to send.

The software itself does allow you to enforce proposed limits, but that doesn't help much if the user is an administrator within the software (he can just adjust his own limits), so I decided to use Exim's built-in queue enforcement to ensure he doesn't go over.