The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Max emails- unrouteable domain

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by andy7t, Jan 2, 2007.

1. andy7t

andy7t Active Member

After some digging through exim logs to find out why a user was getting "unroutable domain xxx.com" when sending emails, i discovered he had exceeded his quota of emails to send per hour.

I have this set to 30 to stop spam (WHM>Tweak settings), and use /var/cpanel/maxemails to allow more through if needed.

Why does exim return this unroutable domain error when its to do with quotas?
    How can i make it say max emails reached- contact support etc etc.

Andrew

2. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

Re:

hi,
    30 is a too low thresh hold for emails from your hosted domains, it should be 60 atleast in my opinion as 1 mail/minute is ok for some clients, but not all. try 60 or 90 atleast.

see ya,
    mohit

3. andy7t

andy7t Active Member

Thats not really the issue for me.
    All my clients know clearly that the 30 limit is in place, and all they have to do is request it be raised- the 30 limit is really just for new clients.
    60 emails is still 1440 a day- enough to get the server blacklisted on spam databases if it should happen.

I just need to know how to make exim return a correct error message.

4. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't know of any way to change the Exim error message and sort of suspect you won't be able to. You could search around on the Exim mailing lists to see if any gurus know about how to do this.

I know you don't like hearing this, but I also think 30 is too low. If you run csf it detects mail limits being hit and sends you a warning email, and you may also be able to get their IP blocked if they do hit their limits. As well as that, if you check your customers properly you won't have problems with spammers. 1440 emails per day is only barely enough to get you listed, in practice. You could have that many escape from a trusted user account (ie with higher mail limits) that had a contact script exploited, so I don't think the low limit actually gains you anything. I use a limit of 250 which means I only rarely have to raise it.