The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Max Entry Processes

Discussion in 'CloudLinux' started by Serra, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Serra

Serra Well-Known Member

I've been with Cloud Linux for a while and I've run into a question about EP. I limit users to either 20 or 30 EP depending on their plans. This is working out fine for me.

However, I began to wonder how many EP my servers can actually create at any given time. Unfortunately, when I search for EP, I get 1000 articles for end users on EP.

What is the formula or how to I determine what a server can produce in relation to EP? I seem to remember something about memory and CPUs, but I can't find it again.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. Serra

Serra Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. Basically, that is great information, but doesn't really answer the question I asked. What I really want to understand is what is the maximum number of EP that a server has. Obviously, if I give 800 accounts the ability to use 100 EP each, then I expect that at some point, I would need X number of EP to support that. Assuming 20%, just for silliness, that is 16k EP. Am I over selling? Do I have 16K EP? Is there a way to find that out without one day finding out I don't?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

As I understand, the "Entry Processes" are designed to limit "Concurrent Connections" to Apache per the document at:

CloudLinux Documentation

The comments on the following third-party URL goes into some detail on how concurrent connections work:

Apache 2.4 max concurrent users limit

Thank you.

5. Serra

Serra Well-Known Member

That was the formula I was looking for. I was missing that it was based on Max Workers! So, the Apache default is 256 workers. That basically means that the max EP a default server could serve is 256 EP, provided it has the memory to do so.

Interesting, lets look at that first post:

Linux Business / Reseller Ultimate
    Entry Processes (Concurrent) = 60
    Virtual Memory = 1024MB
    Physical Memory = 1024MB
    CPU = 200% of 2 cores
    Total Connections = 100

So, this random guy in the internet says he is used these as his limits. These limits look amazing. Expect that he is giving, in theory, the user 25% of the server's resources with a 60 EP limit, except he isn't. He has limited the memory usage to 1024MB, that means that each process is really limited to 17mb.

I guess, I should comment on 100 total connection, in case someone is reading this. If his server is a mail server, and he has an office with 10 people reading mail... they will have major issues with a connection limit of 100. I have 6 emails I check right now and I'm using 17 connections on my account.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

cPanelMichael likes this.