Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Max hourly emails per domain bypassed

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by psytanium, May 2, 2019.

1. psytanium

psytanium Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I have multiple questions regarding "Max hourly emails per domain". Because recently I exceeded Godaddy SMTP relay limit (5000), and I was blocked fro 24h, all 65 users on the server couldn't send emails for 24h, and this caused a serious fallback in my job.

I already have "Max hourly emails per domain" set to [50] in Tweak Settings.
    1. What happen if an account send more than the Max hourly emails per domain ?
    2. Which setting is high priority ? Tweak or Package or Account ? Because in Tweak limit is 50, in packages is unlimited and in individual accounts is 50
    3. Max hourly emails per domain, set a limit to the existing accounts, but does it limit the outgoing emails from the system ?
    My server have sent 5000 emails while the "Max hourly emails per domain" is limited to 50, how does it happened ?

Thank you for the information.
    I didn't find answers in cPanel documentation.

2. psytanium

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Getting notified on high activity of outgoing spams can help me prevent lots of problems for me and my users. This is the 3rd time I get blocked by Godaddy SMTP relay, for 24h, without receiving any notification.

I have already set the "Max hourly emails per domain" to 50, and the "Number of emails a domain may send per day before the system sends a notification" to 300

Could it be the Mailman configuration ? What can disable the notification system ?

Please I need to understand those settings, once for every time.

3. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This documentation should go over this pretty thoroughly
    How to Prevent Email Abuse - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

While that documentation assists with limiting spam mail sent via scripts as well as password compromises, to identify which of these is occurring and where the issue is stemming from you might want to run something like the following script we use internally sometimes:

Code:
    perl <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cPanelTechs/SSE/master/sse.pl) -s

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 cPanelLauren, May 3, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2019
  4. omidsolo

omidsolo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    psytanium,
    SMTP server just continue accepting emails, but will bounce them all after number 100!
    Server does not reject them in SMTP send attempt stage, at least by default this is the behavior.
    I never had a root access to cPanel so I don't know about its options.

That's the worst decision for mid and small size legit companies who use opted-in Email Marketing, or send regular announcements to their customers.
    To prevent murder, guns should not be suspended. Since many hosting providers use cPanel this 100 emails per hour caused some companies to sell SMTP out service for very high prices!
    When relaying a message to SMTP server with marketing software the user is authorized, according to the CAN-SPAM Act 2003 every single SPAM can lead to up to 11,000 USD penalty, at least if spamming occurs, it's easy for users to find the hosting provider and report it, that's what I've done regularly in the past 20 years!
    I think it's better to think about businesses, not only about spammers!

*** This is very usual in the programming, specially for very old established applications, this happened for me as well.
    I have started a big project around 18 years ago which is still active, the fundamentals are based on the initial algorithm.
    That time, I was a beginner, thing were different, human is not always right, but many of the main application architectures are intact and in the mind of developer seems like a indisputable rule!
    After nears 15 years, I found that some of them are not good anymore, and that was suggested by the others, our mind does not want big changes!
    This very very strict limit is one of those, permission based email marketing which is CAN-SPAM compatible should not be restricted.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 omidsolo, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
  5. psytanium

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

My main concern is why I didn't get notification by email when a user have sent more than 500 spams. The link you sent to me do not include answers to my questions.

Thanks

#5 psytanium, May 5, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2019
  6. psytanium

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Does "Count mailman deliveries towards a domain’s Max hourly emails." affect "Number of emails a domain may send per day before the system sends a notification." ?

7. psytanium

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If I have to configure my server and fix problems on my own, at least provide proper documentations.

For e.g. in teh documentation you say "The maximum number of emails each domain can send out per hour" but you don't tell us what happen if the number of emails sent exceeded the limit.

That's why I'm asking those questions, so I can configure my server and avoid wasting my time and yours.

But no one answer.

8. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The issue is, if they're sent via a script a lot of times they're sent either as nobody or originating from the hostname of the server - this isn't going to result in an email notification being sent which is why following the suggestions/best practices provided in the documentation is so important

If you have mailman mails counted then yes it should send a notification - if not then no.

I also want to point out that these are community forums, while we try to respond to every thread if you need immediate assistance you may want to check in with your provider or open a ticket.