The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Max hourly emails per domain

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sp3ctre69, May 9, 2014.

1. sp3ctre69

sp3ctre69 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I had an issue where a customer had his password compromised and his account sent out a lot of spam. I trapped it but not before a lot had got out, so I wanted to setup "Max hourly emails per domain".

However, this seems to work in a very odd and confusing way.

You can set the limit in (from what I can see) 3 places:

- Globally in tweak settings
    - On the hosting package
    - On the individual account

I would expect the global to be the default unless you have set a limit on an account or a package, but apparently that's not the case, the global setting overrides the account level.

Does this also apply for packages? i.e if a limit is set on a package and a lower limit is set for a domain within that package, which takes precedence?

What I would like is to have a global limit (say 500 per hour) on the server. Certain packages would have different limits.

What I really need to be able to do, like in this case I had this week if to edit an individual domain to be (for example) 10 emails per hour while I investigate the issue and make sure the situation is resolved.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation for me and explain exactly how the setting works depending on where the values are set?

Thanks,

Jim

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The values configured in WHM's Tweak Settings interface are the default values. Assigning different values on a per-account or per-domain basis will take precedence over the default values configured in Tweak Settings. This is documented at:

How to Set Email Send Limits

It seems odd that your global limit is taking precedence over your account limits. Does the issue persist if you restart Exim?

Thank you.

3. sp3ctre69

I actually haven't tested it, I just googled to find the answer and came across this:

WHM Max hourly emails per domain - confusing - Hosting Security and Technology - Web Hosting Talk

I presume you are saying this is wrong. It certainly does seem an odd way for it to behave.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. sp3ctre69

Excellent, thanks for your clarification Michael :)