The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Max # of sites on a server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by imagic, May 17, 2003.

1. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

Our NOC is telling us that we shouldn't put more than 300 sites on each server, regardless of the size or complexity of the sites.

Do you find this to be true?

If not, what's the maximum number that you have on a server?

2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    They are probably using this kind of rule of thumb;

Limits on the file descriptors:

Every log file that the Apache server opens is another file descriptor for the process. There is a limit of 256 file descriptors per process in Linux. Since you have multiple domains you are using a lot more file descriptors. If you have too many domains running off of one Apache web server process you can overflow this table. This would mean that certain logs would not work and CGI's would fail.

If you assume five file descriptors per domain you can have 50 domains running on your Apache server without any problems.

One of the main problems though we have found with the apache setups with cPanel is that they are not optimized for performance and stability. All of the default settings are left as is which is not optimal for running virtualhosts. As an example the default apache install only allows a maximum of 150 client connects at one time. Which we find is way too low.

3. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

David,

They are saying it is because of how cPanel operates and all of the processes it goes through for each account.

They didn't make it sound like an apache issue. Any thoughts?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Not sure. There are tons of people running 300+ accounts on servers. Most without any major issues.

If they are referring to cpanel, maybe check with darkorb. I though cannot comment on whether there is any validity to their assessment.

#4 dgbaker, May 19, 2003
    Last edited: May 19, 2003
  5. rhood

rhood Well-Known Member

In my experience 300 is a good rule of thumb for an average server with average sites on it. This will guarantee no major load issues.

That said, it's just a rule of thumb, and not written in stone. It does not mean you can not run a server successfully with for example 1000 or more sites on it.

6. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

391 and 487 for almost a year. no issues related to # of sites.

7. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

From several different message boards and newsgroups, here are the average figures I've noticed.

Small websites without resource intense things like forums can handle 1000 easy. Sites with very busy forums can easily overload a server with only 5 or less. Of course there are sites that require a server of their own, and maybe even more than one. Overall it appears that the average server is usually around 300 sites.

8. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

So the question becomes, is it only a matter of server load?

It would seem obvious that the type of account (size, traffic, complexity, etc.) should come into play when figuring out how many sites a server can handle, but our NOC is saying that there is something inherent to cpanel that makes any more than 300 accounts on a server (regardless if it's a 1 Ghz Celeron or a Dual Xeon machine) a bad idea.

So in other words, if I had 300 accounts that were each using 100kb of space and got 1 visitor a day on a dual xeon machine, I would still be maxed out.

Anybody have statistics or comments to the contrary?

9. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not just server load, but network load in and of itself. Depending upon the /home space of the user, their mysql databases, the popularity of their website, and their ability to code their own stuff (most can't) properly, you'll find that number can vary.

I've seen clients with 700 clients on one server and that server gave no problems whatsoever. On the flip side, I've seen clients with 50 on 1 server and that server's got to be rebooted every day, sometimes 2, 3x a day.

It's really more dependent on the heavy traffic, especially when you're looking at scripts and sql, because more of the newer scripts are extremely nasty with php, don't close themselves properly, don't do this or that, and, in the end, you, as a system admin end up covering that.

10. techark

techark Well-Known Member

What NOC is this???

There is no limit on the number of accounts imposed by cpanel.
    In fact there is a thread on here somewhere where a guy had 1700 accounts on a quad server and Nick was trying to speed up the account listing for him. I would think if there was a limit of 300 Nick would have told him.

I have one server a reseller decided to take the unlimited domain stuff for what it was worth and created 300 one page web sites.

That server has 460 accounts on it now and server load is avg .20 pushes about 40 gig a month in bandwidth and runs like a top.

I have another with 100 sites on it that runs avg load of .97 pushes close to 300 gig a month, same exact specs on both servers now which one would you want your site on if you had to choose?

Load is the primary factor on a server, I try and use 300 sites as a rough guide but it all depends on the sites being hosted.

For instance webhostingtalk.com is hosted on 2 dual xeon servers hyperthreading. and at times it slows down.

All depends on the sites number of visitors and server load.