Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

mdbox vs maildir - opinions wanted

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by Metro2, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've been using maildir format for years, but just got some new servers provisioned (not fully in production yet) and also had Chirpy install the entire CSF/LFD suite of tools along with CS's MailScanner and noticed that the servers were provisioned / set with mdbox by default.

After doing quite a bit of searching and reading, I understand that the main advantage of mdbox is the speed and space / inodes that is conserves. However, I don't think I like the sound of "on a cPanel account that uses the mdbox format, the system only displays the cPanel account's mailbox. The system does not display the mailboxes of the cPanel account's other email users" as shown in the documentation.

So I'm thinking that I should probably switch the new servers to maildir instead of mdbox before I bring them into production. (Shared hosting environment BTW, CloudLinux 7 and WHM 76 release tier).

I would just really like to get opinions from others here as to whether you think one is a better way to go than the other, and why.

Thank you for anyone willing to share your thoughts on this!

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @Metro2

I think there's some confusion with this statement, what's above it is equally as important:

From:Mailbox Conversion - Version 76 Documentation - cPanel Documentation
    Code:
    Unlike the maildir format, the mdbox format does not support symlinks.
    For example, when a cPanel account owner uses Webmail on an account that uses the maildir format, the system displays every mailbox of the account's email users. However, on a cPanel account that uses the mdbox format, the system only displays the cPanel account's mailbox. The system does not display the mailboxes of the cPanel account's other email users.
    For more information about symlinks in Dovecot®, read Dovecot's Symlinks documentation.
    This is referencing the webmail view for the default cPanel mail user, not the existence of individual mailboxes nor their presence. You will still have mailboxes present for each user, they will still be present in the UI as well.

The biggest reason to switch from maildir to mdbox would be in the instance you have thousands of mails in each users box/if your mail storage is huge. If this isn't the case then maildir will continue to work fine for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Metro2 likes this.
  3. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you so much for the extra clarification!

cPanelLauren likes this.