The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by funbooker, Aug 13, 2014.

1. funbooker

funbooker Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    this is probably a fairly easy question to answer but my research has just led to more questions. I'm running 5.10 X86 64 using WHM/cPanel for administration.

One of my user accounts is about to launch an online education service that will have a considerable amount of video and audio content that needs to stream. If it's successful, it may have lots of users simultaneously streaming different video files at the same time. All these media assets will be coming from html or php pages and viewed in standard web browsers.

I have used flv player in the past but this application can't afford to ignore ios devices. I'm also finding that the demand for multiple users and multiple media files streaming simultaneously will require a media server.

My question is what's the best open source solution? Also, can I install it server-wide or does it need to be installed on each cpanel account that streams video? I'd also like something that can be installed from the RPM database. I can do command line installation but I'd rather install an RPM if possible.

Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

That's Centos 5.10

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Assuming you receive no additional user-feedback, you could start by searching for a term such as "Open Source Media Server" and then researching to see if it will work on a CentOS/cPanel environment.

Thank you.

3. triantech

triantech Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Found this link from my archives, not sure if this will help you. I havent tried this ever :

/http://www.videochat-scripts.com/installed-red5-08-rc3-with-jdk-1613-on-linux/

Kindly post here if you got a better alternative or how you worked around.

:)