The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

memcache and CentOS 6.4 issues

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by digitaliway, Oct 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. digitaliway

digitaliway Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    system setup whm: CentOS 6.4 | Cloud Linux | php 5.6 | easy apache 4

I am new to memcache and wanted to get this operational to speed up wordpress sites.

I have memcache (3.0.8) successfully installed on my server and I also added this to my php.ini global server file: extension=memcache.so

when I run phpinfo on any site I can see it memcache show up as enabled.

------------------------

now for the questions: Do I still need to install memcached (2.2.7)?? My hosting provider is telling me I do not need memcached but I am not sure. How do I even know if it is working??

Hosting provider says:
    The version of libmemcached that ships with CentOS does not support SASL. If you are simply trying to use memcache, you only need the "memcache" (not "memcached") PHP module installed on your server, which I've verified is the case:

root@vml1 [/opt/cpanel/ea-php56/root/usr/bin]# ./pecl install memcache pecl/memcache is already installed and is the same as the released version 2.2.7

--------------------------

I tried to install memcached (2.2.7) and I get errors

configure: error: no, sasl.h is not available. Run configure with --disable-memcached-sasl to disable this check
    ERROR: `/opt/cpanel/ea-php56/root/usr/var/tmp/php-pear/memcached/configure --with-php-config=/opt/cpanel/ea-php56/root/usr/bin/php-config --with-libmemcached-dir=no' failed

--------------------------

in easy apache 4 under server modules - I see see a module called ea-apache24-mod_socache_memcache 2.4.23-3.el6.cloudlinux so why is that there and should I install that??

-------------------------------

I would like to know the best and most current way to get this fully functional because all the articles I am reading seem out of date. Maybe I don't even need memcache at all and maybe some of you have a recommendation? Possibly wait for the release tier of V60 and use php-fpm not memcache at all. Iam new to all of this so sorry for the rambling.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. digitaliway

digitaliway Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would like to know in easy apache 4 under server modules - I see see a module called ea-apache24-mod_socache_memcache 2.4.23-3.el6.cloudlinux so why is that there and should I install that??

I was able to get both (memcache and memcached) installed. I realized that I already built libmemcached, needed to go back into the libmemcached source directory, and run the configure, make, and make install again to rebuild the module with sasl support.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Information about that Apache module is available at:

mod_socache_memcache - Apache HTTP Server Version 2.4

Per the comments section, it's not required unless you need to allow multiple front end web servers to share ssl session cache. It allows you to do front end load balancing without renegotiating the ssl session.

Thank you.