The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

memory allocating

Discussion in 'Security' started by scrotaye, Dec 3, 2005.

1. scrotaye

scrotaye Registered

I have my own server with cPanel installed as the control panel. I made myself an account (which is and will be the only account on there). Do I automatically get 100% usage of all the memory, or does cpanel do some sneaky thing where it divides up memory or something like that?

noobish question, I know :-p

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Linux and unix in general, doesn't allocate memory in such a manner. The resources on the server are at the disposal of any processes that run on it. That said, you can limit some of the resources that can be used. For example, if you set a disk quota on an account, that will limit the disk resources in terms of space available to a given account. Memory reosurces can be limited if you enable WHM > Shell fork/bomb protection, which attempts prevent non-root processes from consuming all resources should the process go into an infinite loop. Apache can also be tweaked to limit the resources (CPU and memory) that a given child process can use before it dies.

However, in general, any account can use any amount of resources on a server unless deliberately restricted in doing so.