The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

memory usuage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dc2447, Jun 3, 2005.

1. dc2447

dc2447 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    I have been having a problem with my webserver over the last week or two. The symtoms are that the server runs our of RAM and becomes unresponsive, even when I reboot the server after a few minutes the same behaviour occurs however sometimes a reboot seems to fix the problem. There is nothing in the syslog or any other logs to explain this behaviour and SNMP doesn't report any spikes in load average or memory usuage before the server goes 'down''

The server has 4 Gb of RAM and in normal usuage the server doesn't use more than have of this (as reported by 'free').

I'm pretty sure that the server hasn't been rooted and I don't appear to be being dos's when these problems happen.

I have suggested to my provider (ev1) that there is possibly a hardware issue here buit can anyone suggest any reason why something like this would happen with cpanel?

I am running latest stable on Redhat 7.3

2. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Did you notice any entries in logs..like "lame server resolving"...

3. dc2447

dc2447 Well-Known Member

Nort running named

4. dc2447

dc2447 Well-Known Member

anyone else?

5. krzi

krzi Registered

i am having same issues but mine is caused by MYSQL and SPAMD not sure why but i tried everything to resolve im in the verge of just transfering to a new server lol

6. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Tomcat or resin installed? Bad user java code can cause this (memory leaks)

7. krzi

krzi Registered

whats tomcat and resin?

8. dc2447

dc2447 Well-Known Member

No, no J2EE at all

9. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Considering this is a Redhat 7.3 machine, and thats been officially dead and stinky for a long long time now, would it maybe not make sence to migrate to a new platform such as Redhat Enterprise ? Seeing as you're obviously a power user with 4 GB of ram, it would probably make sence to upgrade your system seeing as it's probably been running, doing what its doing for quite some years. Sometimes hardware just has to go and die on us all. Its a fact of life. I generally give a box a lifespan of 4-8 years, depending of course.

This of course may not resolve your problem if the issue is infact something other than hardware, but you would probably be able to get more bang for your buck with a newer OS, hardware, etc. I'd also suggest you look for a trustable 3rd party to examine the server if EV1 is not willing to do so ( been there done that sorry ).

I say this all as in my honest opinion I smell hardware ready to ascend to hardware heaven.

10. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

http://faq.cpanel.net/list.cgi>>>Apache crashes whenever an account is created or deleted ? I'm running RedHat 7.3

11. snardi67

snardi67 Member

with the amount of datacenters this is starting to happen in and the date that this post coinciding with a similar occurance on my own server. I'd bet there is something that was added in cpanel that is causing this issue, hopefully it will be resolved soon, as on my box it's slowing it way down and making it very sluggish to load webpages.

12. krzi

krzi Registered

yes that is agreed im on redhat enterprise and this is a huge issue cpanel please fix thanks. (im running release updates)

13. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

A fix for what? As the server administrator you have to identify the cause of the problem and then log a bugzilla entry or a support ticket with cPanel. It could be a memory leak somewhere or just a poorly configured third-party application or script. It's impossible to tell without investigation - if you don't know how, hire a server admin to look for you. With all the cPanel servers I see in a day, I've not seen any memory management issues whatsoever.

14. haze

haze Well-Known Member

I have to agree with chirpy here, as many boxes as I admin, not one has shown an issue similar to what has been discribed. Nobody has provided any thing to back up their claims either, where's the proof ? Where are these "multiple" similar issues ? Can you please link us to the posts / bug reports you speak of ?

15. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Also, to the thread starter.. Have you compiled / installed any kernels recently and are you using the bigmem kernels ?

16. snardi67

snardi67 Member

I had this problem after a recent edge update until my datacenter upgraded my os from redhat 7.2 to fedora core 2. It seems there were problems mostly due to the os being no longer supported. As for not reporting it with bugzilla I was not aware of what exactly was causing it and didn't think until i saw several posts spread about on cpanels forums that it was a issue for anyone else. Next time i stop by i will do another search for mysql on the cpanel forums and link back to this thread the numerous posts I see where people are talking about the exact same problem i was seeing that I commented about previously.

Don't think i don't support cpanel or am trying to knock it in any way i've used it for the last year and a half on my boxes and i'm overall very happy with the ease of use, the time and effort put into it's interface and support by it's designers. There are some small problems i encounter here and there and I'm also sure that alot of them are as much due to how i'm using it or my lack of knowledge as to how to properly use it's features.