The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merge Log Files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lloyd_tennison, Sep 6, 2005.

1. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

I had my server OS updated and the log files did not get copied before the server was restarted. Has any of or gurus out here ever written a script to merge two files? (Or can write a script?) I figure that a base could be from a script - as that reads all the users, etc.

#1 lloyd_tennison, Sep 6, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  2. DigiCrime

DigiCrime Well-Known Member

Think you can pass it thru cat like cat file | something something I forgot the rest now, if someone else knows they can fill in the blanks :cool:

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It's easy enough to append a file in unix:

cat from.file >> dest.file

4. lloyd_tennison

No, I meant to scan through all the users, then move the old files and cat the new file to the bottom. I know it an be done one by one - but do not want to have to do all those domlogs (three each user) if I do not have to.

I just do not know how to script it to scan and move.

Boy I wish they had not forgotten that on the upgrade!

5. lloyd_tennison

I have written this mod - but was hoping someone could show me (I am a hacker not a programmer) how to recurse /etc/localdomains and do this or even to read the files from the directory. That way I could make it do the /var/logs directory also.

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    system("service httpd stop;");
    system("cp /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0] /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$ARGV[0]; cp /usr/local/apache/domlogs/ftp.$ARGV[0] /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.ftp.$ARGV[0]; cp /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0]-bytes_log /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$ARGV[0]-bytes_log; cp /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0]-bytes_log.offset /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$ARGV[0]-bytes_log.offset; cp /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0]-smtpbytes_log /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$ARGV[0]-smtpbytes_log;");
    system("cp /old/usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0] /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0]; cp /old/usr/local/apache/domlogs/ftp.$ARGV[0] /usr/local/apache/domlogs/ftp.$ARGV[0]; cp /old/usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0]-bytes_log /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0]-bytes_log; cp /old/usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0]-bytes_log.offset /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0]-bytes_log.offset; cp /old/usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0]-smtpbytes_log /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0]-smtpbytes_log;");
    system("cat /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$ARGV[0] >> /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0]; cat /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.ftp.$ARGV[0] >> /usr/local/apache/domlogs/ftp.$ARGV[0]; cat /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$ARGV[0]-bytes_log >> /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0]-bytes_log; cat /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$ARGV[0]-bytes_log.offset >> /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0]-bytes_log.offset; cat /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$ARGV[0]-smtpbytes_log >> /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$ARGV[0]-smtpbytes_log ;");
    system("service httpd start;");
    system("rm -f /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old*;");

If anyone has any ideas - I would appreciate it. I keep losing the domain name on anything I try. (I do replace th ARGV value on my trials.)

#5 lloyd_tennison, Sep 9, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  6. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/perl

open (datafile,"/etc/localdomains");
    @doms = <datafile>;
    close (datafile);

system("service httpd stop;");

foreach $_ (@doms) {
    chomp($_);
    system("cp /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_ /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$_; cp /usr/local/apache/domlogs/ftp.$_ /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.ftp.$_; cp /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_-bytes_log /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$_-bytes_log; cp /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_-bytes_log.offset /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$_-bytes_log.offset; cp /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_-smtpbytes_log /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$_-smtpbytes_log;");
    system("cp /old/usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_ /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_; cp /old/usr/local/apache/domlogs/ftp.$_ /usr/local/apache/domlogs/ftp.$_; cp /old/usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_-bytes_log /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_-bytes_log; cp /old/usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_-bytes_log.offset /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_-bytes_log.offset; cp /old/usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_-smtpbytes_log /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_-smtpbytes_log;");
    system("cat /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$_ >> /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_; cat /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.ftp.$_ >> /usr/local/apache/domlogs/ftp.$_; cat /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$_-bytes_log >> /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_-bytes_log; cat /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$_-bytes_log.offset >> /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_-bytes_log.offset; cat /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old.$_-smtpbytes_log >> /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$_-smtpbytes_log ;");
    }

system("service httpd start;");
    system("rm -f /usr/local/apache/domlogs/old*;");