MERGED: Redhat Linux Enterprise 4 Support

hostingmetro

PartnerNOC
May 30, 2003
Hi,

Hey, just released today so just wondering for Cpanel support/compatibility...

No pressure :)

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
I would imagine it will be a while considering the problems with running cPanel with SELINUX on Fedora Core 3. RHE4 will have to mature some before it can be fully trusted and there's no rush to move from RHE3 since it's got a good 4 years of full support to run.

youp

Oct 30, 2001
Red Hat entreprise 4

as someone already tested the version of Red Hat Entreprise 4 with Cpanel ?

thanks

Sinewy

May 15, 2004
Sydney, Australia
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
FC3/RHEL4 has structure changes too, a lot of things will break as I've tested cPanel with FC3 and a lot of items broke, scripts and all.

I would think at least a month or two before we see it added.

Same goes for CentOS 4 when they're ready

OMP

May 14, 2004
Hopefully the support for RHE 4/CENTOS 4 gets added soon. I've got CENTOS 4 running on a non-cpanel box and its very stable/nice. Would love to put it on my cpanel boxes.

Sinewy

May 15, 2004
Sydney, Australia
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Dave, could you pm me the login too, i'm looking at pushing Sagonet to installing CentOS 4 but i wish to test it before i use for production. It's nice and stable as a non cpanel box..

dave9000

Apr 7, 2003
arkansas
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Looks like cpanel/whm will work fine on centos v4 without selinux installed. Chirpy looked it over and I have tried every function available and no problems

Just do a minimal install of centos v4 and then install cpanel

:D

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
I wouldn't at this stage until cPanel support it, especially if you're actually going to pur customers on the server. cPanel could just as easily break on CentOS4 until it's supported. CentOS3 uses RHE3 which has at least another 4 years of updates coming from RedHat for it, so there's no need to rush to 4 yet. If you want to play and the servers for your own use and you can risk downtime if it stops working, have a play :)

dave9000

Apr 7, 2003
arkansas
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I agree with chirpy that i would stick with v3 unless your really familier with the operation of both cpanel and the os and don't mind playing beta tester. So far v4 has performed flawlessly however that doesn't mean it won't break tomorrow.

I have a cpanel server that we use for our internal web sites that I am going to migrate to v4 so we can do some load testing. If you do decide to try v4 make sure you have a good set of backups, Cpanel is working on supported v4 versions but for now use at your own risk and make sure you have prepared for disaster recovery and dropping back to v3.

StevenC

Jan 1, 2004
I migrated a centos 3.4 machine to 4.0 (very very interesting process, not for beginners!!! udev screws with things, has to be running 2.6 based rpm kernel etc in order for it to work because udev requires sysfs anyways yeah....). Its running cpanel flawless. no problems with exim. It had to build exim from the source rpm but other than that its working great.

Last edited:

dave9000

Apr 7, 2003
arkansas
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
the easiest way i have found to migrate which has worked with very little trouble for me is to just do a v4 minimal install over the existing v3, a upgrade install will break many things, found this out the hard way