Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Message Delivery Failure - Mail Delivery System

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by brand_land, Jun 13, 2019 at 6:56 AM.

1. brand_land

brand_land Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    One of the email accounts in my VPS has been receiving these emails with emails that he hasn't mailed, does that mean that the server have been exploited ? if so , how can figure it out ? and if not how do I find out what's causing it ?
    Thank you

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello @brand_land

It can mean that, but it can also mean legitimate mail you're sending is being rejected. You'd need to identify whether or not the mail was something legitimate or something you didn't send. You may want to work with your provider to get more information on the bouncebacks you're receiving as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. brand_land

brand_land Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    No, no one sent them from the email address in question, what should I do to find out how are they being sent and if my VPS is exploited or not ?

Thank you

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Since I'll assume you don't have root access to the server, and since you're indicating that the email address in question isn't sending those I'll assume that this is most likely a password compromise (if all the bouncebacks are originating from the same email account and the email account exists on your server)

In that case, you'd need to just change the password. If you're able to view the headers of the originally sent message it might be helpful as well. You may be able to find one by using the interface at WHM>>Email>>Mail Delivery Reports or if you don't have access to that the one within cPanel>>Email>>Track Delivery will work as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. brand_land

brand_land Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I found some mails but the header is empty, it shows like this :
    <>
    is this normal ?