The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

messages-archive filling /tmp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pyrix, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Pyrix

Pyrix Member

Hi all,

I've tried searching for an answer to this problem but it's turned up nothing so I'm hoping you can help me.

Every day recently we've started to get error 28 myslq errors, indicating storage engine problems. Upon investigation we're finding that our /tmp partition is 100% full, and 90% of it is taking up by the file 'messages-archive' in one of the logrotate folders.

'messages-archive' seems to hold lots of information on sessions, authentication failures, etc.

This error has only started occuring since we've recently been doing a lot of work on the server, upgrading Apache and PHP, installing XCache, etc. I'm wondering two things:

1. Why is this file so large compared to before?
    2. What should I do to fix it? I'm tempted to try increasing /tmp but that seems to fixing the symptoms, not the problem?

Any light that can be shed to help me answer these questions would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Ollie

2. viraj

viraj Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Hi Ollie,

You can setup a cronjob to delete those files on timely basis. Or I'd recommend to get the directory sym-linked to a different partition..

3. Pyrix

Pyrix Member

I believe I could 're-mount' tmp with a larger allocation of space (?) but as I mentioned it'd be nicer to find the cause of the problem rather than just find a workaround...

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing it?