The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Messaging IM

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by bradyb, May 9, 2007.

1. bradyb

bradyb Well-Known Member

So.. I am developing a site and they sked about a messagign client that wont kill db and standalone for this site. ie. i know i can integrate aol im but looking for guidance to a simple php based instant messaging program for users on site. something without ajax as i hear that ajax uses a ton of sql resources.. what do u guys think?

2. tolra

tolra Active Member

3. bradyb

bradyb Well-Known Member

very cool.. thank you . How about standalone messaging system as such like myspace? We are making our own but want to enteratin something else.

This site has a similar concept with a cool twist.

4. tolra

tolra Active Member

You can use http://www.igniterealtime.org/ as the server and if you look on their site they have a Java based client, which I believe you can skin.

As it use the Jabber protocol there are many clients about, therefore you can probably come to some deal with one of the Jabber client creators to build you a custom client.

5. bradyb

bradyb Well-Known Member

In WHM is there something already in place that could integrate standard mail type messaging between users besides the actual chat?

6. tolra

tolra Active Member

All I can think of is using a 3rd party application such as www.socketmail.com or the like.

7. bradyb

bradyb Well-Known Member

Do you think that would work out for simple webabsed server side massaging.. something like myspace's message system?

8. tolra

tolra Active Member

I think I'm getting confused as to what you are after.

I've not used myspace but I thought it was an instant messaging system akin to MSN or Google Talk, which is what Jabber can give you or one of the other systems from my 1st reply.

We've got a Jabber server with Flash interface at http://www.worldsiteindex.com/chat/ if you want a look.

9. bradyb

bradyb Well-Known Member

Sorry.. sometimes i type before i think..lol

Anyway.. I am hoping to find a simple messaging system that would work similar to as sending private messages in forums with inbox, sent, etc. We can do this custom but was curious to find something thaqt has a decent backbone that i would integrate with my clients site stored database users.

secondly an actual IM client standalone to integrate for live chat between users that would also pull user/pass from this sites db.

10. tolra

tolra Active Member

I don't know of anything other than a forum that has that facility.
    That would be covered by one of the products in my 1st post, http://www.igniterealtime.org/ will probably be the best as you want to authenticate against the sites db.