The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Messed up nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by cinder, Aug 25, 2004.

1. cinder

cinder Registered

I was hoping that this wouldn't happen, but it has ... :(

I read thru the setup guides for cpanel (new box today) and have gotten stuck in the nameserver twilight zone. This is what I have done today:

Ordered new cpanel server - named it mydomain.com IP xx.xx.xx.31
    Went to goddady and added srv01.mydomain.com IP xx.xx.xx.31
    ns1.mydomain.com IP xx.xx.xx.31
    ns2.mydomain.com IP xx.xx.xx.200 to mydomain.com

Then I went into cpanel and changed host name to 'srv01.mydomain.com', then restarted nameserver/BIND.

Went into 'edit setup' and entered srv01.mydomain.com as hostname, entered ns1 as primary, assigned IP and added A record. Everything running smooth so far. Then I attempted to add ns2 and it came back with 'out of ips' so I went to 'modify resolver config' and added the xx.xx.xx.200 IP address. Then I ssh'd and stopped/restarted named. Still won't let me add secondary server due to 'out of ips', and when I go into the 'manage ips' - there's nothing showing there at all anymore (it was showing the ns1 on a previous look).

The how to's looked simple enough at first glance, but obviously I missed (or messed up) some critical steps in there. Should I have waited until the nameservers resolved thru godaddy before I attempted anything with the cpanel/whm? That's not totally made clear in the how-tos. So does this mean that I've really messed up the new box and should request a reinstall and start over? I'm lost and frustrated and tired - if there's a simple fix to this I'd be really grateful. I've got paypal and I'd gladly pay someone to have a look see at whatever mess I've accomplished and help fix it. :confused: thanks in advance Cris

2. icanectc

icanectc Well-Known Member

In order to use an IP you need to add it to your IP pool.

But you dont have any IP's in your Pool other than the primary, then you won't be able to use IP's WHM doesn't have. So add all the IPS you got from your NOC bu going into Add IP then setting up your additional NS.

3. cinder

cinder Registered

Thank you - that seemed to work - now I'll just wait for resolve before I do anything else.

The how-tos are great, but I missed that "Add IP" step somehow. :)

Thanks again!