The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Messed Up Reseller Nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by dkz, Dec 3, 2005.

1. dkz

dkz Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'm in the process of transfering the contents of one server to another and I somehow messed up the nameserves for a reseller and I have no idea what to do. The resellers nameserves are:

ns1.greenmile.at - 216.32.92.220
    ns2.greenmile.at - 216.32.92.221

I tried to transfer the the reseller to the new server when this happened. Once I saw nothing was working, I edited the dns zones back to what they were.
    What should I do?

Also, if you know of a little tutorial on how to transfer the reseller to a new server, that would be a great help.

Thank you.

2. dkz

dkz Well-Known Member

One of the accounts effected is poisonoakley.com

3. bijo

bijo Well-Known Member

Hello,

It seems that the dns server is not working properly on your .220 server. Pls check the result.
    ======================================================
    dig poisonoakley.com @216.32.92.220

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> poisonoakley.com @216.32.92.220
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
    =======================================================

First restart the named service on that server and check the server log (/var/log/messages). It will help you to solve the issue.

If you want to change the dns server of his domains to the new server, contact the domain registrar and change the custom name server ip to your new server ips.

4. dkz

dkz Well-Known Member

OK,
    This is strange. Most of the resellers accounts are now working but tuvkapellerfeld.com still is not. Luckfully the reseller only 5 accounts. I restarted named and watched the logs and there were no errors. DNSreport is still reporting major problems. Any idea?

I don't know that much about DNS stuff so I wanted to see if the following would work to transfer the reseller accounts.

1) Create the nameserver settings on the new server
    2) Transfer the accounts and modify the zone ns settings on the servers to match the new server
    3)Notify the reseller to update the NS records with their register

Would that work?
    Also, at what point can I change the IP addresses for the primary nameservers from my register. Do I have to wait for the resellers changes to propergrate?

Thanks for the help!

5. aby

aby Well-Known Member

Once you find that everything is setup correctly on the server, then you can change the IP addresses of the primary nameservers at the registrar. If you can't get yourself set up correctly try to get somebody's help who is willing to help you.

>>1) Create the nameserver settings on the new server
    2) Transfer the accounts and modify the zone ns settings on the servers to match the new server
    3)Notify the reseller to update the NS records with their register

Yeah.. that should be the normal procedure.... just make sure it is propperly done.

6. dkz

dkz Well-Known Member

Thanks aby for verifying the procedure. Before I transfer the accounts, I want to get all the resellers accounts back up. Any idea what is going on?

7. aby

aby Well-Known Member

I am not sure... from the available information... But I will check it for you...if you need.. PM me
    at any of my signatures..

8. dkz

dkz Well-Known Member

Thanks aby but right now all the sites are working even though dnsreport is saying it's messed up. I'm going to give it a little more time.

Right I am stuck with transfering the files to the new server. I modified the dns zone with the new IP for the reseller accounts and added a second ns1 & ns2 record on the resellers primary account. Is that what needs to be done?