Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrate accounts and NS to new cPanel server w/ new IP's

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by SeanLee, Sep 20, 2017.

1. SeanLee

SeanLee Well-Known Member

So, I have an older cPanel server that I want to retire for various reasons - I'll refer to it as cp01.mydomain.com. The cPanel server's main IP is also used for NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM, and I have BIND cluster setup for NS2 (which is at a different hosting provider, using DNSOnly). NS1 and NS2 are what all my accounts use for name server resolution (NS1 and NS2 are registered as name servers with GoDaddy). This cPanel server sits on a 72.x.x.x network.

My new cPanel server is CloudLinux based, and is also running BIND (for now). I have it setup to be called cp02.mydomain.com. CP02 uses completely different IP addresses (50.x.x.x network), so I realize I'll eventually need to change my NS1 address with my registrar. However, I set this one up to also have NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM and NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM be used for name servers. NS1 is set to use my new IP address, and NS2 still uses the cluster'd DNSOnly instance.

I have some questions about the steps involved to successfully make this transition:

1) Migrate all accounts over to new cPanel server.
    -Does this mean they will continue to use the old NS/IP for now?
    -Do I have to manually edit all the DNS zones after the migration is done?
    -Is there a better way?​

2) Migrate the main domain (mydomain.com) over to new cPanel server.
    -Is this correct? Should I be doing something else manually? I have entries in the original NS1 that I'd like to keep.​

3) Power down the original cp01; go to my registrar and change the IP for NS1, which is now on cp02.
    -Is this correct?​

I looked for a detailed how-to, and could only find info on how to a) migrate accounts; b) change the main IP of a cPanel server or c) change the IP of a name server.

All comments appreciated.

Thanks much,

-Sean

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Sean,

Yes, the domain names will continue to use the same name servers because name servers are configured at the domain registrar of the domain name. Once you are ready to have the domain names resolve to the new server, you'd simply update the name server IP address for "NS1" at the domain registrar of "mydomain.com". Then, ensure to enable DNS clustering on the new cPanel server so that the updated DNS zones (with the new IP address) are automatically synced to NS2.

Yes, that's the correct way to do it. Ensure to update the "A" record for NS1 in the DNS zone of "mydomain.com" on the new cPanel server via "WHM >> Edit DNS Zone".

Yes, that's correct. One final step that you may need to take is to manually sync the DNS zones from the new cPanel server to the cluster using "WHM Home » DNS Functions » Synchronize DNS Records".

Thank you.