The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrate Addon To Its Own Account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jman_, Sep 17, 2009.

1. jman_

jman_ Member

The title says it all. Have an addon to an account, would like to make it its own account. The web content is not an issue - just backup, delete addon, recreate as its own account, then copy back into the new space.

Problem is with email. How best to migrate the exisiting email & forwarders to the new account?

Some of the email accounts are used web-only, so I don't want to lose the existing messages.

This would be all staying on the same server.

Thanks!

#1 jman_, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

You will have to make the complete or (Full-cpanel) backup and have to restore it after the migration of your addon domain.

You can take the full backup from your cPanel-->Backups->Generate/Download a full backup.

3. jman_

jman_ Member

Sorry, that is clear as mud.

-> You will have to make the complete or (Full-cpanel) backup and have to restore it after the migration of your addon domain.

-> You can take the full backup from your cPanel-->Backups->Generate/Download a full backup.

I know I can back up the entire account. Alas, so far as I can tell, neither account or WHM backup save the mail itself (a requirement, as some users on the current addon access mail only via the web, so have no local copy). So, this is not a viable solution.

As far as "after the migration" goes, if I could migrate I wouldn't need to restore!

Again, what I'm after here is taking an account's addon domain data (web, mysql, and email - including messages, forwards & filters) and making that an account of its own. It would no longer be an addon to another account. It's all staying on the same server.

When done, all email from the addon would be available in the newly created account, and for the folks that use mail clients, the last message pointer would NOT be reset, so it wouldn't download their whole inbox again next time they checked messages.

From looking at the gui, that doesn't look possible. Plus, as mentioned, you don't get the email.

Anyone have an idea on how to best accomplish this? Web & mysql aren't the problem here, that's trivial. It's moving the mail I can't quite figure.

Am fairly comfortable with the shell, figure this would not be a gui solution, just looking for pointers...

Thanks!

4. jman_

jman_ Member

Anyone have an idea how to do this?

5. heyjohnboy

heyjohnboy Well-Known Member

Do you have root access to the server?

6. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

Try to copy the /home/user/mail and /home/user/etc from the add on domain user and paste it on the /home/newuser/mail and /home/newuser/etc and have a try.

7. dherb73

dherb73 Member

Any word on how that suggestion worked?

I'm surprised there is not a native cPanel script or WHM function to handle this task, as I would assume it would be a commonly desired process.