The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrate/Clone cPanel server to other Hardware/Server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sonali_csj, Jun 3, 2013.

1. sonali_csj

sonali_csj Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    hi!

Were having cpanel/WHM server running since 2008, and now we want to move to other server in the DC. I know cloning feature has been requested alot and its not yet out. But for time being isn't there any manual way to do it?
    I know, there is solution by cpanel for migrating accounts, but then what about DNS ? I want to migrate that also.

I saw few links for using rsync, but they are outdated like year 2009-2010 and cpanel has changed alot since then , so i'm scared that might i will miss something, Isn't there any new updated, step-by-step method to do it? I want a prefect solution for my production cpanel server.

#1 sonali_csj, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. ThinIce

ThinIce Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In short at the moment I don't believe there is a perfect solution. DNS zones will be migrated during account transfers if you're using the built in transfer tool in WHM, but the migration of the dns service itself will depend on your current setup (i.e. if you're using a dns cluster, if you're replacing a server that includes it's own name servers with a new one with new ips etc).

As far as server config files for other services go, it's a mixed bag, sure some files are rsync'able but others may likely requre whm screens to be saved / scripts to be run - I'm not aware of an up to date third party product that will grab and migrate them all, it's more a challenge to conscientiousness at this point, although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's not really a good idea to clone a server completely due to the potential differences in the Operating System and architecture. The best way to transfer accounts (including DNS Zones) is to use the built-in transfer tools provided in Web Host Manager. The transfer copies pretty much all aspects of the account. You can configure "Tweak Settings" in WHM, and run EasyApache to match the source server before starting the transfer. Is there anything in specific that you worry will not copy over?

Thank you.

4. sonicthoughts

sonicthoughts Well-Known Member

How about moving from one OpenVZ system to an identical system with a different IP address. The objective would be to 1) clone to a different system and 2) use rsync for a warm backup. Would an image restore or straight rsync work? What files if any should be omitted? Would it be best to use a minimal centos or cpanel optimized centos as the target system?

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, many hosting companies create backups of the VPS container itself using third-party software. While it's not functionality provided by cPanel, it's a widespread practice. These backup images create a copy of the entire VPS container.

Thank you.

6. sonicthoughts

sonicthoughts Well-Known Member

Well, I have two ways to go: 1. backup and restore container on new server (new IP addr, same CPU, different mem, same kernel) OR 2. load a minimal (or standard) Centos, install CPanel, migrate accounts, and copy all config files from both cpanel and system.

1. may bring legacy problems or break something as it is not supported. lot's of big files to transfer
    2. Means to recreate the environment and just "guess" at all the changes over the last year (php, etc.) relies on standard tools.

Is there a lot of risk in #1? Any other approaches / suggestions?

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator