Migrate cPanel to new hardware

Matthew McKinnon

Registered
Jan 30, 2016
Brisbane, QLD
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

I have an installation of cPanel/WHM (11.34.0) currently running on CentOS 5.1 I have been trying to do a update to the system and cPanel via WHM but it fails due to dependency errors. Because of this I think it would be best to reinstall the system and migrate the accounts over.

After reading the forums and FAQ I have come up with the following plan.

1. Install CentOS 7 (new IP)
  2. Install cPanel/WHM (use a 14 day license)
  3. Copy EasyApache settings from old server to new server
  4. Run EasyApache on new server so PHP and Apache settings and cPanel instance is the same on new server as old server
  5. Log onto WHM on old server and transfer accounts to new server
  6. Shutdown Old Server
  7. Change IP on new server to match IP of Old Server (
  8. Re-Activate the cPanel License so the License activates to the correct IP Address.
Can I please get a review of it to see if I am missing anything or if this is even correct and will work (I am not sure about the License part).

Thanks.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Yes, your initial plan looks solid. Your plan involves using the same IP addresses so there's no need to change the name server IP addresses at the domain registrar.

Thank you.

Matthew McKinnon

Registered
Jan 30, 2016
Brisbane, QLD
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
A point that was brought up by the team leader was that this Server also handles our "billing" So I would need to transfer all of this to the new server as well. Would this get transferred when I do the transfer accounts to new server from WHM? Or is this a separate module that will need to get transferred?

Thanks everyone so far :)

(Also just a little off topic. Can someone please tell me why all my posts are "This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors."????)

Last edited:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
New A point that was brought up by the team leader was that this Server also handles our "billing" So I would need to transfer all of this to the new server as well. Would this get transferred when I do the transfer accounts to new server from WHM? Or is this a separate module that will need to get transferred?
Are you using a specific billing application, and if so, is it connected to an existing cPanel account? You might have to reinstall the application on the destination server if it's not associated with an account. Data is typically stored in a database that you could copy over.

Thank you.