The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrate dedicated to VPS, same machine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bestrafung, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bestrafung

Bestrafung Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Our cPanel originally started as a VPS but we migrated to a colocated dedicated server for expansion and performance. We have since downsized our operations and need to migrate back to a VPS as well as requiring additional virtual machines for other projects.

I have a few questions to hopefully get started making a plan.
    1. Is it possible to install and run VPS from our existing server completely from terminal without a reinstall?
    2. If not, I've seen some solutions that looked promising but in the end a GUI is always necessary. Is there possibly something available with the GUI as a web interface?
    3. Can the cPanel be migrated from host to guest with little or no downtime and no remaining cPanel or conflicts from the host (return the host to a normal CentOS again)?

I also have another thought for possible discussion. Would be possible to re-enable the GUI/desktop for CentOS and achieve the VPS migration being able to use a standard GUI such as VMWare?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @Bestrafung,

I'm happy to help answer these questions.

You're going to need to reinstall the operating system if cPanel is installed on the server. There's no supported method of uninstalling cPanel other than reinstalling the OS.

I recommend reaching out to your data center to see what they recommend. They may have a simple no-cost process for reinstall requests, or may offer KVM access.

I don't recommend installing virtualization software on-top of a cPanel installation. Have you considered backing up the accounts to a remote drive, reinstalling the OS/cPanel, and then restoring the accounts from backup?

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!