Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Migrate DNS & Cluster to new server(s) - How to best achieve?

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by Sovjohn, Feb 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sovjohn

Sovjohn Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

So, I've got a slightly weird scenario and would like to know what you think of it:

Right now, a CPanel server (let's call it Server A) has a given IP address as main address and is in a cluster. Server B and Server C is in the cluster.

The IP addresses of server A & server B are also declared in GLUE records for domain names ( of the type ns1.something.com) - server C is not, it's just part of the cluster.

What's the issue here - I want to make DNS independent of server A, because I plan to stop using server A soon.

How would this be most effectively achieved, I wonder?

Here's what I thought:

Have server A "take server C's place" i.e. belong in the cluster, but being removed from GLUE records in domain names.

Then, from the current status where it's:

ns1 in GLUE - Server A
    ns2 in GLUE - Server B
    (server C in cluster but not in GLUE)
    We'd have:

ns1 in GLUE - Server B
    ns2 in GLUE - Server C
    (server A in cluster but not in GLUE)

But is this the right way to do this? Or should I, perhaps, disable DNS on server A entirely and have DNS served only by servers B and C?

Furthermore, if what I'm describing can work, should I delete the current cluster and re-make a new one at Server B? I've noticed that the primary server performs better (?) sync with other cluster members, i.e. if I say, add a new account at Server B at the moment (which is secondary in the cluster) it may not necessarily sync to Server A until I run "Syncronize DNS to all servers".

Any advise on the best practices to follow re: the above will be most welcome!

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...