Migrate DNS server to new domain

Jun 21, 2018
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I currently have 2 cPanel DNS Only boxes which were created 8+ years ago.
Since then a lot has changed including the business domain.

In addition to migarting these to new DNS servers running on AlmaLinux I'd also like to give them a new name.
I'm using DNS clustering on my cPanel servers so is this as simple as deploying the new DNS servers, adding them to the cluster and then updating the old DNS servers domain to point to the new DNS server IPs?

Any new domains will of course use the new nameservers however I need any existing domains using the old nameserver domains to also continue working.

Thanks

Jun 21, 2018
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the help!

Am I correct in thinking that any domains using the old nameservers will still work if the DNS record is rerouted?

For example, right now its ns1.old.com
I'll be deploying a new ns1.new.com server then adding this into the cluster.
I would then update the DNS for ns1.old.com so it points to the IP of the new ns1.new.com server. I'd then shutdown the old ns1.old.com server for good.

With this approach, any domains still using the old ns1.old.com nameservers, would they still work as expected?
Can you anticipate there being any issues with doing this?

Thanks again!

Jun 21, 2018
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Sure and that's definitely an option.

The only downside is that my business has gone through some rebranding a few years back so it would be nice to bring it all under the new domain.
When taking on new customers it doesn't feel too great giving them the old-domain branded nameservers.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
In that case, another option would be to do something like this:

-add the new cluster machines with the new nameserver names
-add the new nameservers to the registrar for all domains

That will give you a period of time where both the old and the new resolve, and then after a couple days you could take the older ones offline.

Jun 21, 2018
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The problem I have is that there's a handful of customers who are particularly difficult to deal with.
Some of them have 30+ domains spread across 8 or so registrars so getting them to update them within any reasonable timeframe is near enough impossible.
This requires getting their IT support teams involved and it's a major headache.

I was hoping they could continue to use those older nameservers (which would resolve to the new DNS server IP) which keeps costs down and would mean a more seamless transition for me. This means I can put in the request for them to update their domains and not have to worry about making sure they do it by a certain cut off date which I know will cause friction.