The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrate Ensim 3.1 to cPanel SAME SERVER

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cleangroove, Sep 5, 2005.

1. cleangroove

cleangroove Registered

Hello - as this is my first cPanel post I apologize now if I have posted in the wrong forum! This might be a New User question or General? I have searched for this topic (Migrate Ensim 3.1 to cPanel SAME SERVER) and found nothing.

(Scenerio (Note: Red Hat Linux))
    I am trying to find out if ensim (3.1) accounts can be migrated/moved/copied to cPanel if two drives are on the same server, one as the main, and one as the slave. I will be becoming a new cPanel user and need to swap using the same server. This is a production server, so down time is of importance. Currently all sites are virtual with one IP.

My choices are:
    1) install the main drive as cPanel with the old drive as the slave, then move from the slave to the new cPanel (I would guess this would involve more down time and would not be preferred to the second option) or....

2) install the cPanel drive (new) as the slave and then move accounts over to it from the main ensim 3.1 drive. When complete, remove the old ensim 3.1 main drive and mount the cPanel slave as the main drive.

I have found a lot of great posts on migrating from server to server (great work guys/gals) but I have not found the migration method using the Same Server. If I have somehow missed it, please direct me.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    cleangroove

2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Unfortunatly I do not think that is possible. cPanel needs to be installed on a fresh O/S. You may have to lease a second server to help you through this.

3. cleangroove

cleangroove Registered

SAME SERVER clear-up

First of all Happy Labour Day to you DG (and Happy Labor Day to me) !!

Sorry... perhaps I was not as clear as I needed to be. When I said "install the cPanel drive (new) " I mean in either scenario the cPanel drive is a (new) fresh drive/fresh os. The drive will be imaged with cPanel, but of course no data/accounts yet. It will be one of two drives, the other being the old redhat ensim 3.1 with the current accounts (temporally until it is no longer needed).

My question is >migration. Is is possible to migrate accounts from the old drive to the fresh new cPanel drive, but have both drives (master and slave, or slave and master) on the same server while doing this.

cPanel WILL be installed on a fresh OS. Sorry if i am not understanding something here.

Thanks!!! cleangroove

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it would be possible either. The Ensim migration utility needs both the cPanel server and the Ensim server to be up and running at the same time.

On the lines of what dgbaker suggested, you could get a cheap single month VPS running cPanel. Migrate your users from the server booted into Ensim. Then boot the server into cPanel and then migrate the accounts over from the VPS.

A bit of a pain, but probably more likely to succeed. You could even keep the VPS for secondary DNS ;) For a good VPS solution I'd recommend someone like http://www.servint.com/vps/, if it's only temporary there may be cheaper ones available to you.

5. guapunya

guapunya Member

hi everyone.

are there any solutions for this yet? i'm having the same problem here. the server has been down for more than 24hrs. which i'd already my clients it wont take more than that. but i realised the utility is only for server to server.

please help. :(

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I've already posted a solution if you want to migrate your ensim data to cPanel all on the same server and told you why it cannot be done otherwise. Or are you talking about some other scenario?

7. guapunya

guapunya Member

Hi chirpy,

I'm so sorry. I was in panic situation yesterday to the stage where I search and read all posts in alot of Forums about this same issue, til I got confused and thought that your post was few years ago.

Managed to transfer all user's accounts manually :( . But let me tell everyone else.. although it's really pain in the ass to do that for 24hrs.. IT'S WORTH TO GET OUT OF ENSIM AND GET INTO CPANEL!

OK let me not say and praise too much yet.. :D