Migrate from Centos 7.9 to Almalinux 8.x

RicRey

Feb 3, 2022
Ecuador
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
The Almalinux project together with its large community have released a script that allows migration from Centos 7.9 to Almalinux 8.x, my question is is this compatible with Cpanel? According to the official almalinux page applications and configurations will be preserved but I would like to know if Have you officially tried this?

On the official website of almalinux he talks about it and it looks very easy to implement.

I await your responses, and I hope you can try it in case you haven't, so you would help your of customers.

Reactions: andrew.n

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It is compatible with cPanel but only from CentOS 8 to AlmaLinux 8 so CentOS 7.9 to AlmaLinux 8 is NOT supported and will potential break your system due to mismatching libraries.

Maxin John

Jan 5, 2022
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
HI,
I have tested the elevate project with minimal centos7 server ( which I used for SMTP relay with postfix) to Almalinux8 which was working fine. All packages and dependencies were upgraded and working fine under Alamalinux8 .. not tested centos7 with cPanel installed seems will not work for cpanel at the moment as there are lot of older packages were there centos7 cpanel which will not be worked under Centos8/Almalinux8.
need to test..

Reactions: andrew.n

RicRey

Feb 3, 2022
Ecuador
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
It is compatible with cPanel but only from CentOS 8 to AlmaLinux 8 so CentOS 7.9 to AlmaLinux 8 is NOT supported and will potential break your system due to mismatching libraries.
just in case I mean that there is now a new script developed by almalinux and its community to move from centos 7.9 to almalinux 8.x, it is not the same one that converts centos 8 to almalinux they are different scripts based on Red Hat technology for its conversion...

The script probably ensures that it updates the configurations and applications so that they have the latest packages in the conversion, I am testing on a server that I installed... and virtualized, when I have results I will let you know if there are any limitations or if something needs to be fixed, now I find the new script very interesting.

Reactions: ITHKBO and andrew.n

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Very true! I'm old and outdated! sorry about that. Its fantastic news @RicRey, thanks for sharing.

RicRey

Feb 3, 2022
Ecuador
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
We're working on our own version of the Elevate tool and you can find more details on that here: cPanel elevate documentation
This is much better news than the one I posted, the question would be does it work only with centos 7 or also with cloudlinux 7?

Note: At the moment I am working with a virtualized test server in KVM with Virtualizor, and I have installed a Test Cpanel in a virtual container, I am trying to update the main server to see if it is not broken or can be fixed and later I will try to update my cpanel test container to almalinux too "I'll use cpanel's elevate project to see if it works"... hope it all works.

Last edited:

RicRey

Feb 3, 2022
Ecuador
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
For those who are interested, the migration of a server with Virtualizor and KVM was a total success without failure, the Virtual Servers (VPS) work perfectly...

@RicRey - currently CloudLinux is not supported through this tool. It's important to note this is still very much in beta, hence the "problems you might find" section.
Now my goal would be to convert the cpanel installation to almalinux... but I have some problems and I want your advice...

My Cpanel has Cloudlinux 7 and I must first convert it to Centos 7 to be able to use the elevate Beta of CPANEL and thus pass Centos 7 to Almalinux 8 and from there re-install Cloudlinux converting Almalinux 8 to Cloudlinux 8, do you think it has any complications?

RicRey

Feb 3, 2022
Ecuador
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
That sounds like a lot of work and OS changing to me. I would think it would be easier to just perform a migration to a new system.
Is there a way to keep all the settings? in the event that you migrate to a new vps with almalinux?...

Since there are many configurations to do, just imagine all the details of cpanel, cloudlinux, imunify360, csf, litespeed, ufff it seems like a lot to me :P...

but in any case do you think that what I propose is feasible?