The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

migrate from plesk 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by modom, May 12, 2006.

1. modom

modom Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if accounts can be migrated from plesk 8 to cpanel?

Plesk updated my server today to version 8 when I explicitly told them twice I did not want to go to 8.

I am moving to a cpanel server and understand there is not a migration script for plesk 8 but is there somewhat of an easy way to move my accounts over, shared and ecommerce stores with databases?

Thanks for any advice.

2. cooldude7273

cooldude7273 Well-Known Member

The latest official supported transfer method from Plesk was from versions 6.x.

I talked to Nick a few weeks ago and he said the migration from Plesk 8 should be done next week (which is in the past). Support for it is coming, but only the cPanel Gods know when.

3. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Yes, and hope the cPanel/WHM migration tool will work for you. Read this thread for more information: http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=52181

4. MuratCetin

MuratCetin Registered

Any news about this issue?

5. m0rpheu5

m0rpheu5 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Any News????

6. NightStorm

NightStorm Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Nothing yet, no. When I asked in TT a month or so back, I was told that the migration manager was in the process of being updated (testing stages) and would be updated a week or so after the release of STABLE.
    STABLE was updated on Friday... so I hope this means that sometime this week, we can start to see some pretty kickass updates coming from CPanel.

7. m0rpheu5

m0rpheu5 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Migration from Plesk

I would like to know if is possible i migrate some sites from a server with Plesk 8 to my server with cPanel, and how can i do this??

Thanks

8. NightStorm

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    A search would tell you that this is not yet fully implimented nor supported.
    A migration from Plesk 6 will work. A migration from Plesk 8 will work *with some problems*.

No subdomain support. Any subdomains will be lost
    No mailing list support. Any mailing lists will be lost. They can be manually migrated with the mailman bin files. A search on Google will help you through this (look for "backing up mailman").
    Email passwords will likely have to be reset. Not sure why... maybe its a length error, or just not grabbed properly since the way passwords are stored was changed with PSA 7.5. Either way, expect some time resetting mail accounts.
    Large databases may fail during migration. Dunno why, don't care why. I prefer to import them manually anyway, since (and this is the annoying one)
    Database configs for ALL sites will need to be redone. CPanel stires database names and usernames with the CPanel username as the prefix for the database. PSA does not. So when you import them, they are assigned new names based on the CPanel method, but the files that use them are not changed... this will have to be done manually. I don't see how CPanel will be able to fix this even with the new Manager, as this is simply an incompatibility issue. But overall, it's still easier than manually moving everything.

9. mwny

mwny Registered

I'm getting password errors when I try the import. Did you use the WHM function "Copy multiple accounts from another server" ??

10. NightStorm

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I've used both multiple and single.
    You are remembering to use root password (even though Plesk uses admin), right? And you are still aware that the migration manager does not support 8.0, and it will be wise to simply wait for an update, right?

11. coralcom

coralcom Registered

It looks like e-mail import fails completely w/ plesk 8

I just tried a plesk 8 --> cpanel domain transfer. Email addresses do not appear in cpanel at all, returning this error in the transfer log:

Converting to maildir if needed

...Done
    ======> Converting misandry <======
    Fatal: Unable to make /home/misandry/mail/misandry.info/mark/tmp/ subdirectory.
    Fatal: Unable to make /home/misandry/mail/misandry.info/webmaster/tmp/ subdirectory.
    ==> Converting any remaining mboxes in /home/misandry/mail
    ==> Done
    ======> Done with misandry <======

Done

any news on cpanel update?

12. NightStorm

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Kevin's been REAL good through this. Poor guy keeps ending up with all my tickets. ;)
    So it's coming... but apparently no one knows when. I can understand the headache it can cause though, since swsoft really messed up how a lot of stuff is stored.
    As for your email error, I dunno what to say. I ran a migration from PSA 8.0.0 for Linux, and it grabbed all 80+ email addresses, but all of them required a password reset. But it at least created the addresses... resetting the passwords was slightly easier once all the primary information was moved over.
    What I'm holding out for now is that one of my primary domains has over 40 subdomains, all of which add up to almost 3gb in data... and each one has it's own FTP login. I'm not looking forward to a manual migration if that doesn't work out soon. *sigh*

13. coralcom

coralcom Registered

plesk 8--> cpanel migrations

I'm wondering how cpanel handles Plesk mail accounts that have aliases, redirects, or groups, anybody know?

14. basic612

basic612 Member

I had enquired re. making the move, and any known issues - but it seems that there is no information regarding successful plesk to cpanel migrations. Luckily I only have a few accounts to deal with on the plesk server so I will just manage the transition manually. From my initial experiences with cpanel and previous experience with plesk, I think that it would be best to run such migrations manually - or otherwise do any imports in a highly supervised manner. there are that many varialbles on both systems, and they both have their peculiar quirks so I would not trust any geenric migration solutions.

I guess If I had 100 or more domains to transfer then I would be looking for a migration solution - but I believe that the best option in this case would be to understand and use the generic solutions provided to custom develop a solution that was tailored to my particular set-ups, that way I would be sure that everything was working as I intended it.

#14 basic612, Jul 31, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2006