Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED Migrate reverse DNS zone to another cPanel

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by SactoBob, May 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SactoBob

SactoBob Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Moving a cPanel from a Centos 6 to Centos 7 and have a question regarding a DNS Zone that isn't tied to an account. All domains on this cPanel get their own IP address and as such I add them to a reverseDNS zone that this cPanel is delegated to manage. There is no DNS clustering. Is there a zone file somewhere or a method I can use to move this zone to the new server?

-bob

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @SactoBob

If the DNS zone file isn't owned by one of the users on the system (which it sounds like it isn't) the transfer tool wouldn't handle it. You should be able to use rsync to move it to the new server though. Information on that and how to do it can be found in this thread rsync or scp script for moving emails from one server to another and all the db files should be at /var/named/domain.tld.db

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SactoBob

SactoBob Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'm familiar with rsync (or other methods) to move data, what I was missing is how/where cPanel stored DNS data not tied to a user. I moved the db, but had no affect, noticed there was also a cache directory under /var/named/cache which also had the dns zone. When I removed that and restarted some services, all the info for the reverse DNS zone was there and showed up in the cPanel. All good. Thank you!

cPanelLauren likes this.
  4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @SactoBob

I'm happy to hear that and glad all is working as intended now!

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...