The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrate Server & Keep Old IP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stugs, Jun 16, 2007.

1. stugs

stugs Member

I have purchased new hardware for my server and am about to migrate accounts. I have searched the forum for migrations but the most common request is migrating datacenters.

My goal is to migrate my all my accounts and old IPs to my new server. Is there a way to do this w/out having to do a find & replace on all the DNS files to change the main IP once I'm ready to shutdown the old server?

thanks,

2. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

hi,
    IP blocks are owned by the data centers, so you cannot take away your IP from one data center to another.

you can search this forum for "server transfer" "account migration" and would find a lot of thread which can let you move pretty smoothly.

see ya,
    mohit

3. stugs

stugs Member

I did, and I only found how to transfer to a new server on new IPs. I want to bulk transfer the data and then change the main IP to the old server's IP.

I'm not moving datacenters, I'm moving all of 1 foot from my old server to a new one and a new OS.

4. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

hi,
    IMHO you would either need to ask yoru data center to re-allocate your IP on your new boxes, which is not a easy job, they won't do it easily and it can have more downtime than you would expect.

best option would be Transfer your data from server one to server two. once all the accounts are setup on new box, Update the IP's on your nameservers.
    Once you are sure you have everything running off the new server, cancel your OLD box.

Hunt for threads this has been discussed not less than 50 times.

see ya,
    mohit

5. stugs

stugs Member

My datacenter is letting me keep my IPs. They gave me a temp IP to use while I transfer. Once everything is moved they will change the routing so my new server can run the old IPs.

6. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

7. stugs

stugs Member

8. stugs

stugs Member

I just thought I would follow up to say it worked perfectly. I rebooted the box and after doing a upcp everything worked perfect.

thanks again!