The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrate server, keep same IP configuration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by webignition, Mar 1, 2006.

1. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I'll soon be migrating to a new server and am looking to keep the same IPs so that there are no DNS propagation issues. In this respect, the data centre will switch the IPs from one server to the other when I'm ready (which is nice).

For clarity, let's call the current server A and the new server B.

Server B will be initially supplied with it's own range of IP addresses, as you would expect.

I'm assuming that when an account is migrated from A to B, it's IP address will be changed to one belonging to B, resulting in slight differences in the Apache config and in the zone file. So far so good.

However, what I'd like to do is tell WHM on server B that it's main shared IP is that of server A, and the same for the other relevant IPs.

Once the migration is complete and the IP addresses switched over by the data centre, I'd only otherwise need to re-jiggle all the IPs on server B anyway, so I thought I'd consider skipping the middleman on this issue.

Therefore what I'm interested in knowing is: is it possible to tell WHM to use IPs which it otherwhise has no business in using? Obviously many things will just fail in style until the data centre IP switch over is made,, however that wouldn't be a problem as server B won't be being used up to that point.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member