The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrate to same hostname different server, 1 account at a time

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Evolve, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

Hello,

Here is my situation...
    I have 50+ accounts on a CentOS 5.11 cPanel server and am moving to a Cloudlinux cPanel server at a new provider.
    I've set up many of my client's emails using my servers's host name because it had an SSL certificate. I need to keep the host name the same or at least figure out how to make those emails continue working. I'm also moving to a new environment with Cloudlinux and CageFS so I want to be able to test accounts and put them live 1 by 1 on the new server.
    Is it possible to do this incrementally and seamlessly?

I've already set up the new server with the same host name and I've transferred one account over which I've been testing by changing my hosts file to point to that server for the account. Is it possible to change one of the name server IP's on the original server to the new server so that if I remove it form the old server it will pick up the site on the new one?
    I suppose i could just keep moving the site's over 1 by 1, testing with the hosts file change, and recording any changes I need to make for each one so that when I do go live I can re-transfer them all in one fell swoop later.

Is there a better approach to this?

Thanks!

2. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

If what i'm reading on Stack Exchange is correct then this won't work.
    Nameservers aren't checked in a particular order and if the site isn't found on one it will fail and not send the request on to the next name server.
    I suppose i'll have to just test them all with by editing the hosts file and prepare to change them all in one fell swoop. Anyone care to chime in to confirm or deny or suggest alternatives?

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, that is correct. The only alternative is to assign the domain name new name servers if you have access to it's domain registrar.

Thank you.