Migrating all accounts from MySQL 5.6 & EA3 => MariaDB 10.3 & EA4

AndyB78

Oct 7, 2003
Romania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

I have to migrate all accounts from an older server with CentOS6 / EA3 to CentOS7 / EA4 and I am contemplating to also switch from MySQL 5.6 to MariaDB 10.3.

The transfer itself will be done with the transfer tool from cPanel and possibly some will be transfered by cPanel backup files (if necessary).

I would like to know if migrating to MariaDB 10.3 is a good idea (if data loss is likely) and if MariaDB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL or it might cause problems.

I take any tips gladly but I also need an answer from a cPanel tech.

Thanks!

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I would like to know if migrating to MariaDB 10.3 is a good idea (if data loss is likely)
I think it'd definitely be a great idea and while data loss is not anticipated you it would be wise to have current backups any time you perform upgrades like this.
and if MariaDB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL or it might cause problems.
That's precisely what MariaDB is - a drop in replacement for MySQL!

If you run into any issues I'd encourage you to open a ticket with us, we'd be more than happy to assist you with this.

Thanks!

AndyB78

Oct 7, 2003
Romania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Well, it's not all fine unfortunately. When I upgraded the MySQL server from MySQL 5.7 to MariaDB 10.3, the default EA4/PHP version was 7.2. This works fine. But no other version works although they do have mysqlnd and pdo active in EA4 provisioning. I would need some help/tips here as I have already started the migration process.