The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrating cPanel to a "fresh" cPanel...

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Hyflex, May 7, 2015.

1. Hyflex

Hyflex Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi,

So a 5 years ago I had my hosting with one company and recently I moved to a new hosting company.

Since moving I've been wanting to "refresh" my cPanel and folders to remove junk files, junk settings from my old host and also "fix" the error that I get with phpmyadmin:
    upload_2015-5-7_16-15-10.png
    This error is only temporary, it disappears after 10 seconds and redirects me to phpmyadmin.

I want to backup all my...
    - E-Mail accounts, mailing lists, e-mail data, mailing lists, forwarders, autoresponders, default address.... etc
    - FTP Accounts
    - Remote MySQL ips
    - SSL Certificates
    - Subdomains
    - Mime types & Apache handlers
    - SSH Access Keys
    - Webalizer, AWStats, Latest Visitors, Error logs, raw access logs... etc
    - SQL Tables/users/permissions
    - All of public_html

My root of my folder looks like:

upload_2015-5-7_16-24-35.png
    upload_2015-5-7_18-24-35.png

I have no idea what folders and files are necessary to not break any of the things I want to keep other than rrr, (my folder), public_html, ssl, logs, rrting...

Any advice would be welcome!

#1 Hyflex, May 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The backup options provided in cPanel/WHM (or through /scripts/pkgacct via the command line) will backup the data you mentioned. Have you tried removing the .my.cnf file to see if that addresses your phpMyAdmin issue?

Thank you.

3. Hyflex

Hyflex Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I will try that as soon as I'm home, as for the backup I don't want to use that backup option it backs up loads of stuff I don't use, old stuff from my old host.

4. Hyflex

Hyflex Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Deleting it did nothing :(

Is there no "cleanup" utility?

#4 Hyflex, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
  5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    It backs up all of your most important stuff. What old stuff are you talking about?

There is no way to clean up a cPanel users account with a button.

- The cPanel user needs to go thru all the files in his public_html/ and decide what he does not need any longer, manually. Whatever is in there he doesn't need, move it to a specific directory he creates like, oldfiles/ for example, outside public_html/. Once you've moved all the old stuff you don't think you need into it, compress and download off of the account via File Manager. You never know what you might have removed but needed, later. Once you're sure you don't need it, kill it.

- Check for any old databases you no longer need, back them up, and then kill them too.

- If he's got any old manually created directories outside of public_html/ he doesn't need any more, they could go into that oldfiles/ directory as well, for safe keeping.

"Download a Full Website Backup" and he's off to the races. Anything still in the account, is probably needed for the account and should be left in place.

That said, if he knows of other "stuff" he's thinking of getting rid of aside from those mentioned, back it up. Just in case he kills something the account needs to work proper, later.

6. Hyflex

Hyflex Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    By old stuff I mean default template stuff from my old host which was bluehost.

Comparing a fresh cpanel account to my one they're are tons of files extra... For example there are left over subdomain dns stuff, there is old host files in .cpanel and differences here and there even the ruby template file is different and I've never used ruby.

I only use WordPress and custom html files in my public html folder, I would go through the folder manually if I knew what is "safe to delete" in terms of not killing WordPress, emails and stuff like that, and obviously if I knew what is what.

7. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Another option for you might be to backup the entire account and all the stuff. Have your Hosting Provider kill the account. Recreate the account fresh, and you put back into that new account your Wordpress files and database, and email, and custom html files. Depending on how much mail you have, you could download it for safe keeping in your mail client by setting up a POP3 account.

A bit more work of course, recreating any sub domains, database(s), email accounts, digging files out of the backup, etc. But, you can be sure that what you put on the account then, you put there. You know?

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Feel free to let us know which specific files you are unsure about and we can let you know if it's safe to delete. Or, as mentioned, create a new account, import the data you want, terminate the old account (after backing it up), and then modify the domain name of the new account.

Thank you.

9. Hyflex

Hyflex Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Okay, I sorted out a bunch of the files... but I still have that phpmyadmin problem, how do I fix that?

10. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Please open a support ticket using the link in my signature. We'll get that checked out for you. Once you've opened a ticket, feel free to post the ticket number here in this forum so that we may update it accordingly.

11. Hyflex

Hyflex Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi,

I tried to open a ticket but can't because I can't get the support access ID, can I instead put some fake one and provide login details to the cPanel?

Thanks

12. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You need root access to open a support ticket. I suggest reporting the issue to your web hosting provider so they can take a closer look and determine why it's failing to open properly.

Thank you.