Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Migrating from BIND to PowerDNS

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by DennisMidjord, Aug 22, 2018.

1. DennisMidjord

DennisMidjord Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

We want to migrate to PowerDNS as we want to offer DNS administration directly from our WHMCS installation.
    Currently, we've setup our DNS servers in a cluster. Is migrating to PowerDNS just a matter of selecting the PowerDNS nameserver and nothing more? Does it handle migrating the records?

Also, let's say we're not gonna go with a DNS cluster for PowerDNS since we want DNSSEC. Is there any way to push changes to all of our name servers like the cluster does?

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

You may have to use the same nameservers i.e., powerdns for all the servers in cluster.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DennisMidjord

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm aware. I was just wondering if changing to PowerDNS from WHM converts the existing zones.

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @DennisMidjord

There is nothing that you should need to do to convert to PowerDNS through the WHM interface. WHM handles this for you.

You can do this though DNS clustering/replication outside of the method provided through cPanel is not something we provide support for.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DennisMidjord

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So just to be sure;
    - I just need to change the current nameserver to PowerDNS on all of our servers + nameservers
    - Setup replicating outside cPanel

We want to offer DNS hosting directly from WHMCS without using our domain provider's nameservers. The only addon I've found for WHMCS is SoluteDNS that can do this (and doesn't cost a ton of money each year), but it only supports PowerDNS.

Is there any other way of doing this?

Edit: Just read up on PowerDNS for cPanel - does it not support MySQL?

#5 DennisMidjord, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  6. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes it shouldn't cause any issue - conversion is done by WHM.

As I said before if you want replication we recommend the DNS Clustering option within cPanel. We do not support replication outside of the clustering feature provided by cPanel. If you want DNSSEC and Clustering this is not available at this time with PowerDNS through cPanel/WHM.

I'm not sure how "DNS hosting directly from WHMCS" works but I do want to point out that if you are a root administrator of your server you can create your own nameservers and manage DNS directly through your server without WHMCS - How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel Environment - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Our installation of Power DNS uses a bind backend - I believe what you're referencing is the storage method of the dns zones power dns supports a generic mysql backend in it's own installation but ours is using bind. There will be an update to pdns in coming versions as well - which will include more supported features.

Thanks!