DennisMidjord

Sep 27, 2016
Denmark
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

We want to migrate to PowerDNS as we want to offer DNS administration directly from our WHMCS installation.
Currently, we've setup our DNS servers in a cluster. Is migrating to PowerDNS just a matter of selecting the PowerDNS nameserver and nothing more? Does it handle migrating the records?

Also, let's say we're not gonna go with a DNS cluster for PowerDNS since we want DNSSEC. Is there any way to push changes to all of our name servers like the cluster does?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @DennisMidjord

There is nothing that you should need to do to convert to PowerDNS through the WHM interface. WHM handles this for you.

Also, let's say we're not gonna go with a DNS cluster for PowerDNS since we want DNSSEC. Is there any way to push changes to all of our name servers like the cluster does?
You can do this though DNS clustering/replication outside of the method provided through cPanel is not something we provide support for.

DennisMidjord

Sep 27, 2016
Denmark
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi @DennisMidjord

There is nothing that you should need to do to convert to PowerDNS through the WHM interface. WHM handles this for you.

You can do this though DNS clustering/replication outside of the method provided through cPanel is not something we provide support for.
So just to be sure;
- I just need to change the current nameserver to PowerDNS on all of our servers + nameservers
- Setup replicating outside cPanel

We want to offer DNS hosting directly from WHMCS without using our domain provider's nameservers. The only addon I've found for WHMCS is SoluteDNS that can do this (and doesn't cost a ton of money each year), but it only supports PowerDNS.

Is there any other way of doing this?

Edit: Just read up on PowerDNS for cPanel - does it not support MySQL?

Last edited:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
- I just need to change the current nameserver to PowerDNS on all of our servers + nameservers
Yes it shouldn't cause any issue - conversion is done by WHM.

- Setup replicating outside cPanel
As I said before if you want replication we recommend the DNS Clustering option within cPanel. We do not support replication outside of the clustering feature provided by cPanel. If you want DNSSEC and Clustering this is not available at this time with PowerDNS through cPanel/WHM.

We want to offer DNS hosting directly from WHMCS without using our domain provider's nameservers. The only addon I've found for WHMCS is SoluteDNS that can do this (and doesn't cost a ton of money each year), but it only supports PowerDNS.
I'm not sure how "DNS hosting directly from WHMCS" works but I do want to point out that if you are a root administrator of your server you can create your own nameservers and manage DNS directly through your server without WHMCS - How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel Environment - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Edit: Just read up on PowerDNS for cPanel - does it not support MySQL?
Our installation of Power DNS uses a bind backend - I believe what you're referencing is the storage method of the dns zones power dns supports a generic mysql backend in it's own installation but ours is using bind. There will be an update to pdns in coming versions as well - which will include more supported features.

Thanks!