The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrating from Ensim

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by polarbear, May 21, 2003.

1. polarbear

polarbear Member

Hello all!

I am about to make my desicion wether or not to migrate to Cpanel from Ensim. I do have some questions in that matter. Please excuse me for double posting some of the questions in the RS forums as well, but it's been past a week since I first posted them there, and still no answer. Here we go:

1. What happens to the different user names? Will the account administrator use the same username and password for logging into his/her Cpanel as he/she used for logging into Ensim Webppliance? Will the regular (non-admin) users keep their usernames and passwords also?
    2. Will the upgrade affect MySQL usernames?
    3. I am currently running virtual DNS on Ensim. I guess it's better to run name servers on separate servers, but for now, can virtual DNS be used on Cpanel also?
    4. Some of my users have uploaded their sites through Front Page, using Front Page server extensions. Will these sites continue to work after converting to Cpanel?
    5. Will the site migration script in Cpanel work with Ensim pro accounts as well?

Last, but not least: I've read lots of posts in different forums (especally on WHT) about the lack of Cpanel compared to Ensim. One of the major reasons is, among Ensim people, stated to be the fact that Ensim runs all scripts, including PHP and CGI, in chrooted environments. I am not in the position that I can debate which control panel that is the most secure, however, I would like to be informed of good resources, preferrably HOW-TOs on how to make a Cpale box tight and secure as a bank vault.

I know these are all lots of questions, but if anyone can answer SOME of them, I'd be really happy. So far, none of the above has gotten any answers in the crossposted forum.

Thank you!

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well First let me congratulate you on deciding to move to a much better support panel - ( ok well thats up for debate but everyone has their favorites...)

Here are the answers I can give you from upgrading my servers to Cpanel. First of All DONT UPGRADE ON THE SAME SERVER YOU HAVE ENSIM ON !!!! THIS IS DOWNRIGHT CRAZY TO DO . . .

doing so can cause the following issues:
    - ensim cron jobs still try to run
    - ip based sites loose email ability ( no root available search that)
    -tons and tons of other issues ---

Anyhow its easy to avoid just get a 2nd box and move everyone over ... then take the original box offline once you know everything is good to go

YES - *** BUT *** :eek:
    Webppliance allows for the login to be the same for other domains in where Cpanel does not...

lets say you have the login of polarbear@domainone.com
    polarbear@domaintwo.com and polarbear@domaineleven.com

Cpanel only will allow you to have the ADMIN account name of polarbear for one account - not for multiple accounts ...
    basically the reason is because ensim requires the login of
    the full name with domain ( polarbear@domainname.com )
    in where cpanel only requires polarbear in order to loginto the control panel. )

ALSO CPANEL only allows for the admin username to be 8 digits
    otherwise it will not copy the account over ( there is a hack for this but it is sometimes picky so I have not used it...)

** You will need to make sure all your customers usernames for the admin logins are different and truncated to 8 digits or less - or run the hack and hope for the best ***

YES

It may - this of course is dependent upon so many things... I would suggest backing up SQL seperately just in case....

YES - very easy to do http://forums.rackshack.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22881 ]Click Here for the DNS how-to . . . [/URL] hope that helps

Yes and No ... ... ...
    If your clients have subwebs and permissions ... most likely not... This is a pain in the but - but it is also not a Cpanel issue, nor an Ensim issue --- Its a Frontpage issue - - - chances are good that it will work - but not always - ALSO - you may have the same problem just moving from 1 ensim box to another though

Dont Quote me on this but yes I believe it will - I had no issues. . . (at least related to Ensim Pro)

Search is your friend - Although I am a great Fan of the WHT forums ( located www.webhostingtalk.com - for those of you who dont know what wht is) you may want to checkout the forums over @ rackshack.net http://forums.rackshack.net Even if your not able to post msgs there you can still do search --- Tons of Information for Plesk, Ensim, Cpanel & RAQ boxes by many qualified persons *** did you know that the webhostingtalk.com forums are hosted by Rackshack.net ?

I hope these help if not feel free to email me with your questions -or better yet post them here so everyone can benefit

#2 hostmedic, May 22, 2003
    Last edited: May 22, 2003
  3. polarbear

polarbear Member

Thank you for some very helpful input!

I have actually been searching the forums at RS for some information on Cpanel security. I have found threads regarding setting up firewalls. However, I am kinda looking for something more, like if there's any standard precautions that can and that should be taken to secure the box, how to avoid hackers gaining access to the box using well-known hacker methods. I guess a firewall won't do the trick alone, some configurations might need to be set etc..

4. hostmedic

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Security

Truly efficient managed solutions begin with a solid back end server administration package. Traditional packages aimed at this task are costly, limited in functionality and not affordable to smaller corporations who are unable to develop large portions in house. - I found this post on the web in regards to Cpanel -
    funny but I personally dont think Cpanel is all that secure -

And Why Should It Be ---

There are many persons that feel that a "All In One Solution" will help them run a webhosting business - heck I used to be one of them years ago ... (lol)

Many will say it is wrong if you dont know how to administer a server to become a webhosting company - I disagree & pose this question in return - Just because you know how to administer a server - does that mean that you should become a webhost ?

Being a webhost involves skills much more than knowing how to administer your server - such as customer service skills, marketing skills just to name a few.

I would suggest first learning a little bit of how to secure your server - from there finding someone in the industry to test what you have implemented and then move on from there -==

Find a WhiteHat and ask them to check the security of your server ! This is downright the most important step you can take . . .

next post will have a bit more in regards to what you should make sure to do . . .

5. hostmedic

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    security continued

A good place to start is with this website: http://www.securityfocus.com/

Use : suexec and phpsuexec on your Cpanel box

Save this in your bookmarks:

How to become a linux guru

Disallow your clients to have access to run Cron jobs. . .
    - Allowing your clients to run Cron jobs via the control panel is basically granting them access to the command line ! If your clients do not have a secure password to their cpanel login - your box could be toast.

use hosts.[deny|allow] and/or iptables to set up access lists. And even to change the ssh port to something unknown if you were so inclined. Furthermore have sshd set to only allow two login attempts before it drops the connection

You may want to run your webserver (and user directories) inside a chroot environment with minimal access to anything. That way even if they compromise the webserver, they still can't do any damage to your main system

BACKUP = find someone to mirror your backups with -
    run a cron job to tar your backup and have it ftp to another server... offer the server exchange to the other server you are backing up to as well... (great if your drive crashes !!!)

#5 hostmedic, May 27, 2003
    Last edited: May 27, 2003
  6. hostmedic

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    #6 hostmedic, May 27, 2003
    Last edited: May 27, 2003
  7. silent_l

silent_l Registered

Re: Re: Migrating from Ensim

How do I set up multiple admin accounts? I have several domains and subdomains.

SL