The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrating from RAQ4 to a cPanel solution

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by valain, Oct 8, 2003.

1. valain

valain Registered

Oct 7, 2003

we are a company specialized in web application development, and we currently own a Cobalt RAQ4 that we use to host the projects we develop for our customers. We don't officially sell or promote "hosting plans" - we only host projects we developed ourselves.

As SUN is abandoning the RAQ4 line of products, we are looking for an alternative, and besides ENSIM's Webppliance, I am considering CPanel / WHM. I have a couple of questions that I hope to have answered in this forum:

• We are considering to have the E-mail services hosted on a completely different server provided by a company specialized in E-mail hosting. Is it a problem to somehow "deactivate" the E-mail features of WHM/CPanel? Users would not have the possibility to use whatever E-mail admin functions on our server. Users/admins should however be able to administrate their FTP account settings, for instance.
    • The same question as above, but for DNS administration? DNS hosting and administration will be done on a third, different server, with its own administration interface.
    • A very important point - is there any kind of migration utility to migrate virtual sites and user accounts from a RAQ4 to a Cpanel installation?
    • Are there any special tools or functions to ease the installation/migration of SSL certs, coming from an existing installation on the RAQ?
    • Security - unlike on the Cobalt RAQ, does the Cpanel solution provide a way that disallows user A to read files of user B using a well written PHP script? i.e., is there some kind of "virtual site security separation" so that no virtual site can see files of another virtual site?
    • Demo version - is it possible to obtain a demonstration version that would only be activated on a "local" IP address ( for instance) so that we can test the solution locally without being online?
    • Is the Cpanel solution "upgrade friendly" in the sense that we can install the latest versions of MySQL, PHP, Imagemagick,... without comprimising functionality of the administration tool?

I might have more questions later, but I guess this is a good start. We plan on making a purchase decision within the next few days, so I'd appreciate detailed answers.

Thank you,

Alain Support Ticket Number:
  2. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Seattle Washington
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As far as WHM and CPanel go, you can use the features you want, and not use what you dont.

For Email: Just change the MX record in DNS to point to the actual mail servers FQDN, or to reflect the computers IP

For DNS: You dont have to use it as a name server, or any thing else, but it still has to have DNS on it, so that it can point to other places and know where to go internally.

There are spceial migration tools, and there are several third party tools as well.

There is an SSL manager that allows you to install a purchased or currently obtained SSL cert, and you can also create a new one on your own, generated by your server and install that as well. Why pay for it when you can make it yourself for free in less than 5 minutes?

In terms of security, it is secure. Easy user has their own area, and can not even view the directory they are in if they are outside of their own. The only time this would not work is if they all shared a directory. You can make a seperate account per team, per user, per group, and let them all share it, or make one dir/area/account per group, and then divide up each area and assign users to it. The possibilities are endless with what you can do here.

Upgrading is automatic. It does it on its own. it can update to the latest versions of php, imagemagik, gd, apache, and much more. you can set it to update daily, or you can tell it to update only when you tell it so. You can also install these yourselves by hand without loosing any functionality.

Hope this helps, if you need any more help, dont hesitate to ask. Support Ticket Number: