The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrating IP Ranges

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeewhizz, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Jeewhizz

Jeewhizz Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

I need to migrate about 5-8 servers from one IP range to another. I need minimal downtime (pref none), so was wondering what others had done for this?

Can I get a server to run on two *main* ip's? I.e. will apache/ftp/email bind to two ip's? AFAIK, exim will bind to any IP on the server. Any ideas/comments?

Appreciate your help,

Cheers,
    Jee

2. carock

carock Well-Known Member

I had to do this a long time ago.

At the time, I had plenty of time for the migration, 3 months for about 500 domains.

I elected to get new servers set up on the new IP's and migrate them over one by one while informing the customers beforehand to make sure they were aware of changes and in case they needed to modify their clients/firewalls/software etc. with the new IP address.

Some domains I don't control DNS for, so those were attacked first since it required mostly non-technical people to get involved to have their ISP change DNS IP's or other changes to their domains.

If you don't have to consider the client side so much, then adding the appropriate configuration entries in httpd.conf to duplicate the sites on the old IP's will probably keep them up until changes propagate.

In this day and age, I doubt changing IP's on the server that hosts mail/web/ftp will not cause some kind of support issues with your clients. You will find out how many places they have put the static IP. Outlook, Dreamweaver, whitelist in spam filter, hole in firewall etc.

Chuck