Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Migrating Plesk mySQL Files to cPanel

Discussion in 'Database Discussion' started by easyprosys, Apr 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. easyprosys

easyprosys Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Due to a RAID failure that was imminent on a Plesk server that we're dumping anyway I had to copy all html directory files/folders to the new server. I wrote a script that easily deposited the files into each directory. It just dawned on me that I have to chown root to the admin name.

But I also moved the mysql files from the failing server to the new server. One trick with Plesk was that we could just copy the mysql files to a new server. No hiccups. But can I do this with cPanel or are the database names held in a database? I don't want to corrupt anything. I don't know if I can create a master dump file of mySQL files outside of /var/lib/mysql and then recreate the database through cPanel and then restore. /var/lib/mysql. But then there's /var/lib/mysql-files/. Confused. Do I create the database in the customer domain and then restore from a dump file (if I can make one?) Or can I just copy them in like on a Plesk sever? I hate Plesk with a passion! ARG!!! We have a lot of servers to migrate. If I can just copy them I can add the command to the script I wrote.

How would you advise me? I don't want to create a support issue by doing it wrong.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @easyprosys,

The best approach is to follow the recommendation from our How to Manually Migrate Accounts to cPanel from Unsupported Control Panels document when migrating the MySQL databases:

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...