Migrating Plesk mySQL Files to cPanel

Server Pros

Nov 27, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Due to a RAID failure that was imminent on a Plesk server that we're dumping anyway I had to copy all html directory files/folders to the new server. I wrote a script that easily deposited the files into each directory. It just dawned on me that I have to chown root to the admin name.

But I also moved the mysql files from the failing server to the new server. One trick with Plesk was that we could just copy the mysql files to a new server. No hiccups. But can I do this with cPanel or are the database names held in a database? I don't want to corrupt anything. I don't know if I can create a master dump file of mySQL files outside of /var/lib/mysql and then recreate the database through cPanel and then restore. /var/lib/mysql. But then there's /var/lib/mysql-files/. Confused. Do I create the database in the customer domain and then restore from a dump file (if I can make one?) Or can I just copy them in like on a Plesk sever? I hate Plesk with a passion! ARG!!! We have a lot of servers to migrate. If I can just copy them I can add the command to the script I wrote.

How would you advise me? I don't want to create a support issue by doing it wrong.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @easyprosys,

The best approach is to follow the recommendation from our How to Manually Migrate Accounts to cPanel from Unsupported Control Panels document when migrating the MySQL databases:

• You must create the empty database on the cPanel account first, and then restore it on to that database.To do this, use cPanel's MySQL Database Wizard interface (cPanel >> Home >> Databases >> MySQL Database Wizard).
  • You must create a dump of your database and import it via cPanel's phpMyAdmin interface (cPanel >> Home >> Databases >> phpMyAdmin).
Thank you.