The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED Migrating server to new VM

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by charette.marc, Dec 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. charette.marc

charette.marc Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've read over the documentation regarding using the Transfer Tool to migrate everything to a new server. The question I have that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet is: can the transfer tool do incremental changes? So for example, this server has about 300 GB of data on it and will take likely several hours to migrate everything to the new server. After it finishes there will likely be a lot that has changed (new emails, database changes) so can I do a quick incremental sync afterwards or does it need to start all over again and transfer everything from the beginning?

Secondly, is the source server affected in any way by the transfer? Meaning, if something goes wrong with the new server and I have to start the process over again it hasn't actually removed any data from the source server right?

2. SysSachin

SysSachin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Once the migration is completed with the transfer tool you need to run final sync on your server to migrate your updated files and folder to you new server and for the MySQL databases, I will suggest your take a backup in .sql format and then restore it on your new server.

Your data will not remove from your old server if anything goes wrong while migrating your accounts with the transfer tool.

3. charette.marc

charette.marc Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So if I understand correctly, you're saying the transfer tool does not migrate the MySQL databases? They have to be moved over manually?

4. RadWebHosting

RadWebHosting Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    You could setup the server environment and then migrate each account individually. You would likely not experience the same level of file changes using this method. Yes, the databases are transferred when using the transfer tool.

5. SysSachin

SysSachin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Migration tool will migrate your database and all files of your account but once migration is completed and if you want to remigrate your databases which is updated with the new data then I will suggest you take your databases backup in .sql format and restore that on your server

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

There's no support for incremental transfers, however you could manually use the rsync command after the transfer completes to copy over website files that have changed.

Accounts are unaffected on the source server unless you enable the "Express Transfer" option:

Transfer Tool - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thanks!