The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrating Servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jfreak53, Sep 6, 2012.

1. jfreak53

jfreak53 Well-Known Member

I just moved an account from a two version old WHM install on a VPS to a new dedicated with the most recent cpanel/whm install. I used the copy account option. It copied fine, all PHP thing's are working. Problem being NO rail apps are working at all. All old rail apps on old system were working perfectly, now they just stopped working and I'm getting a 503 error:
    http://www.gaugeus.com/ramblings

Any clues?

2. pwhjenny

pwhjenny Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you use thin or mongrel?? Always good idea to check corresponding logs to detect the reason.

3. jfreak53

Mongrel, well that's what was on the old system. To be honest I know NOTHING of Ruby at all. The server only has 4 accounts on it, one of which is a Ruby site. The owner of that site knows Ruby, the whole server is his, I just sold it and set it up. The original server was setup with Ruby 2 years ago, we just switched today. To install ruby I ran:

/scripts/installruby

WHM did everything else, so really I don't know. What log could I check to see what the ruby error is exactly?

4. pwhjenny

pwhjenny Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Go to your rails path . Then look for log folder. There you will find mongrel.log file in which all mongrel logs are stored. The rail application uses bunch of symlinks so make sure you execute ls -l to know actial path.. Log folder is generally located in app directory.

5. jfreak53

This is what I get when I try to startup his app with Mongrel:

It was complaining I was running an older version of Rails and needed to install 2.2.2 using: gem install -v=2.2.2 rails

But I haven't done that yet, I just went into environment.rb and commented out the rails version line and now it gets that far at least. Don't know if I should install the older version or what?! :S I'm really not a ruby guy at all

I should mention the app that won't work is a Mephisto blog.

- - - Updated - - -

I should state that to start his App I run:
    mongrel_rails start -d

Then go to his main domain, which redirects me to ramblings subdir automatically when I then get the 503 error.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  7. jfreak53

Ticket #3151961