The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrating to a new server with trial license only

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chaochet, Sep 14, 2012.

1. chaochet

chaochet Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Dear The Forum,

First of all, please bear with me as this is my first post to the Forum.

I have a cPanel server in production with full/valid license. This server has become very old and I'd like to migrate to a new server with more powerful/high-end hardware. However, the new server is installed with cPanel trial license.

Through the WHM interface, I was trying out transferring accounts from one server to another with WHM->Main -> Transfer -> "Copy an account from another server". This seemed to work fine.

My question is: after transferring all the accounts and data from the old server to the new server, what are the steps to change the IP with full/valid license to the new server? In other word, after the transfer, the new server should function exactly the same a the old one with same public IP (with the valid license).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Chet

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You'll use the new IP for the new license. Please feel free to contact Customer Support for more details as needed: Contact | cPanel, Inc.

3. MilesWeb

MilesWeb Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It depends on as to from where you have purchased the license. If it is from cPanel directly, they will transfer the license from one IP to other. If not, you need to contact your webhost provider.

Now, when you say using the same public IP. Do you mean you want the same IP as old on new server ? If yes, this is something that needs to be looked into by your DataCenter OR web hosting provider.

4. chaochet

chaochet Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you all for the response.

I have purchased the license directly from cPanel. I would like to use the same license and associated IP with the new server. I am working for an ISP and I'm hosting the server my at the ISP.

The reason for the migration, as mentioned earlier, is that, the current server is running on very old/slow machine and I am buying a new hardware set to replace it.

The obvious solution steps that come first to my mind are these:

1) Set up a new server and assign a new IP with a temporary cPanel trial license to it.

2) Transfer all accounts and from the old server to the new server.

3) The tricky part for me: change the IP on the new server to the one used by the current server to replace the trial license with a valid one. In other words, how can I transfer the license from the old/current server to the new server so that the new server gets the valid license? And after that, I can shut down the old/current server.

Thanks & regards,
    Chet

5. chaochet

chaochet Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Dear The Forum,

I have read a similar threat below which resembles to my case but did not state clearly the procedures of the migration:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f34/migrating-accounts-single-license-265802.html

Basically, my case is the same as this one; I have a single license and it is be used on the old machine. I would like to transfer everything from the old machine to the new machine, keeping the license, the IP, the accounts and the data the same as the old machine and finally shutting down the old machine.

Thanks & regards,
    Chet

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for my English; it should been "thread", not "threat" :(.

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    New server, new IP and new license. You do not need to concern yourself with those two items too awful much really. It's the accounts that you need most. You'll setup the new server properly, secure it, configure it and create your Packages etc, and move your accounts to it. And then kill the old server once the new one is good to go.

You do have the option of setting up both servers in a DNS cluster which can make moving a bit easier:
    Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration - cPanel Documentation

Both servers can use the same domain name, but with different hostnames. For example, if server 1 is summer.chaochet.com you can setup the new server with winter.chaochet.com and use the DNS cluster setup to share nameservers for both. At your domain name registrar add your new IPs to the nameservers already in place so that both nameservers are using multiple IPs.

Don't concern yourself with holding onto license or IP(s) of the old server. You will need a second license and IP(s) for the second server to get moved. Once you've transferred all accounts, made sure all is good to go you'll drop the old license and IPs that were with that old server.

As with anything like this, always always always, make sure you've got proper full backups before doing anything. You can't go wrong as long as you've got backups.

Also, you want to read up on all this before you make the jump as well. There are multiple threads on this topic that should prove more useful than the one you've linked to above. Have a look at this listing via Google:
    site:forums.cpanel.net move to new server - Google Search - past 12 months

If all of this is a bit overwhelming as it can be of course, you might consider hiring a professional to assist you with it. On the cPanel Application Catalog you'll find listings for System Administration services:
    cPanel App Catalog

I hope you find something useful there to get you pointed in the right direction. I can tell you that once you've completed this, you'll look back and realize it wasn't that tough. cPanel makes this as easy as it can to help. :)

Good luck with the move!

7. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just to ensure this is put into short details. Migrate to the new machine using WHM > Transfers area to the server with the trial license, then either email customer service (cs@cpanel.net) to transfer the paid license from the old IP to the new one, or else switch the IP on the new machine in WHM > IP Migration Wizard to the old server's IP.

If you choose to switch to the old IP on the new server, then you'd need to take the old server offline before switching the IP, and you'd need to set the old server's IP on the new server as the main eth0 (or eth1 depending on what you are using) interface.