The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrating to new machine and dealing with mail and dns lag

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by cmdln, Nov 4, 2008.

1. cmdln

cmdln Active Member

I am preparing to migrate to a new machine. I've been burned in the past with DNS. Setting the ttl low ahead of time helps but it only helps so much. With websites when I move I setup a reverse proxy on the old machine and configure it to proxy to the new machine. How can I allow exim to relay mail for a domain but not deliver it locally?

I see
    Code:
    domainlist local_domains = lsearch;/etc/localdomains

domainlist relay_domains = lsearch;/etc/localdomains : \
        lsearch;/etc/secondarymx
    in /etc/exim.conf
    Should I just comment the domain out of /etc/localdomains and add it to /etc/secondarymx?

I know if I just disable mail for the domain it will eventually arrive but customers should not have to wait days for a response if it can be avoided.

2. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

You could for ease just forward all designated mail to the other server, a router for exim would suffice here (although it may cause some backscatter)

Code:
    send_to_gateway:
         driver = manualroute
         transport = remote_smtp
         route_list = * your.newserver.com

Or as a second option without the backscatter, you could set up a static route driver and run verifies to check the end recipients exist on the new machine (more manual config needed in this case though)

#2 nickp666, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008