Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Migration and Nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by [JZ], Mar 22, 2018.

1. [JZ]

[JZ] Active Member

Hi all,

I hope i have posted in the right place here on the forums.
    Looking for a little advice, i'm confortable with cPanel and configuring as i have been running cPanels for 8 years now but my old server is now at EOL with its software.

So basically i'm downgrading from a dedicated server to a VPS and going from 5 IP's to 2 IP's.

Now i understand i can transfer my accounts easily using the Transfer Tool, but i will also be transfering an older EasyApache confirguration, but i believe i can run different instances of EasyApache setups now on newer Cpanel, so this shouldn't be a problem?

I host my own nameservers on my dedicated server with ns1 and ns2 having its own IP, on my new VPS with only 2 IP's can i still have a ns1 and ns2 nameserver and website accounts running off the same IP's which i'm not sure about?

With using a different IP's, any advice on the best way of a smooth transaction?
    I understand there maybe a little downtime but just looking for the best possible way, maybe getting one nameserver setup first on new VPS and deactivated on the older dedicated server will help?

Many thanks all.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Yes, it's acceptable to use the same IP address for multiple name servers or as a combination of a name server and for an account. You'd just want to ensure the name server IP addresses are updated at the domain registrar to reflect the new IP address if the IP addresses are changing.

It's likely the old server uses EasyApache 3, whereas EasyApache 4 is setup by default on new installations. We document information about EasyApache 4 at:

Introduction to EasyApache 4 - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation
    EasyApache 4 Recommendations - Version 70 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

A conversion script isn't available since you are not directly upgrading from EA3 to EA4. However, you can access "WHM >> EasyApache 4" to enable the features and modules of your preference that match what you use on the source server.

We offer some tips you can follow under the "Minimize Your Downtime" tab on the following document:

cPanel Migration Services and Guides - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. [JZ]

[JZ] Active Member

Many thanks for your reply and help Michael, appreciated.

cPanelMichael likes this.