The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migration DNS Errors

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Mauritz, May 17, 2016.

1. Mauritz

Mauritz Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello, I am migrating a cPanel server to a new server. The accounts was setup on a reseller on serverA which has very old / incorrect DNS settings. ServerA does not have a nameserver setup but is part of a DNS cluster of 4 DNS servers (cPanel DNS Only). The records in the DNS cluster is correct.

When transferred, the DNS settings of accounts on serverB is incorrect, it appears to be the settings setup for the reseller as originally setup on serverA. How would I go about finalising the transfer without having the incorrect nameservers? I assume I would manually have to change the nameservers on serverB after the transfer is completed, but looking for a quicker way as appose to using edit dns zone for each of the domains (there is about 120). I would like to make serverB part of the cluster but worried that the correct DNS settings may be overwritten.

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated!

2. sarath8372

sarath8372 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

In DNS clusters, synchronizations are done based on the serial numbers of zone records. When you synchronize a zone file,
    the one with the largest serial number (latest) will be copied. So just compare the serial numbers of zone records in serverB and in DNS cluster. If DNS zones in serverB have smallest serial numbers, you can safely add serverB to cluster and synchronize DNS zones to serverB. Most probably the zone files in serverB will have the smallest serial numbers, if the DNS zones in serverA were old.

Or simply set DNS Role of serverB to Standalone when adding it to DNS cluster. This method fetches DNS records from the remote server, but does not write records from the local server to the remote server. Please refer : DNS Cluster - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

#2 sarath8372, May 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2016