The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migration from box to box?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Promethyl, Jan 3, 2005.

?

Ever migrated all accounts on a box?

1. Yes.

82.6%
  2. No.

17.4%
  1. Promethyl

Promethyl Well-Known Member

Allright. After scanning the forums for an hour, I didn't find the articleI was looking for ... so now I'm requesting.

I have cPanel (wonderful product, do you accept late xmas presents?) on a Pentium 2.4 SingleProc box.

I am interested in getting a dual Xeon box.

Porting the hard drives is not an option (data center two states away, on IDE, new drives SCSI, etc, etc).

How would I migrate every account on the box?

I saw a wonderful how-to some time ago, but I can't find it. Anyone refer me to a hell of a complete how-to or could someone give me very good directions?

I was thinking of decreasing the DNS zone data lifetime and using cPanel's move/import account function.

Any takers?

2. brentp

brentp Well-Known Member

use cpanels copy account feature

Regards,
    Brent

3. fmughal

fmughal Member

Fahad Mughal

first of all you have to lower the ttl of all accounts which you want to transfer to another box.
    let say from 14400 to 90 ms and then you must wait for 24 hours for the propogation of the ttl.

You can use the following command to lower the ttl of your all accounts from root.
    just login in to root and type.
    cd /var/named
    perl -pi.bak -e "s/14400/90/g" *.db
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart

After 24 hours simply go to whm transfer feature of the box in which you want to migrate accounts and under this section you will find an option copy multiple account from another server just click on it.

Here you have to write
    (1)Ip of the server from which you want to migrate account
    (2)Its root password
    and simply click ok or done.

I guess his will help you out.

#3 fmughal, Jan 4, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  4. Promethyl

This is what I needed yeah. Is ttl in ms though? I was positive ttl was minutes or seconds ?

/me grabs a copy of o'reilly's bind.

"The $TTL directive is defined in RFC 2308.

TTL in the DNS context defines the duration in seconds that the record may be cached."

5. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Correct TTL is in seconds, generally a setting of 120 seconds two minutes is good enough, we also generally after the move wait 24 hours before updating the amount back to the 14400 amount.

6. Promethyl

Allright. If I do two minutes, on an already loaded box, is this enough to bring the server to it's knees? My load has varied widely from 3 to 100 in the last few days (fuskering, hotlinking; of which I've combatted appropriately).

So, would you agree with the statement:

I plan to get a second box, and get it updated to the point in which I need, and then start moving over accounts using cpanel's multiple account move function. Once this is done, and the accounts are verified to work, I will switch all the DNS zones SOA TTLs to 120 seconds, and wait 24-48 hours. During this time I should monitor the accounts, flushing the DNS on my box (ipconfig /flushdns) to make sure the new box is handling the accounts properly.

On switching over the DNS... I currently have ns1.myhost.com and ns2.myhost.com... Do I setup the new box with the new DNS ips and then once the box is ready, change the IPs for the NS records at the registrar?

Also, if I use the copy command in cPanel, won't it setup the accounts on the very same IP as the old box?